NAS help!!?!?!?!

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

NAS help!!?!?!?!

Postby Fr0sTy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey all,
new to this archlinux distro, so i obviously have some questions.

My pogoplug pro has 2 drives hooked up to it, both HFS+ w/ journaling. I see them when i type mount in to my console. i want to be able to access them via afp if possible and i followed some tutorials on the web and still don't see the drives as shares on my macbook. i'm basically looking to turn my pogoplug pro into a NAS/time machine w/o using the pogo software. can anyone assist me w/ some baby steps? thanks in advance!!! :D
Fr0sTy

Re: NAS help!!?!?!?!

Postby tramusen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Did you happen to follow this guide? I'm assuming you probably have, but if not, that would be worth a look.
http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guides/ ... me-machine
tramusen

Postby Fr0sTy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 pm

i sure did! to edit the files, i used vi. would you recommend a different way? also, HFS+ drives are supported correct??
Fr0sTy

Postby tramusen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 pm

EDIT: Yeah, vi should be fine. I still haven't been able to make the switch to vi (or emacs) from nano, the level of memorization needed is a bit intimidating when working on important files!

I haven't messed with setting up a time machine share since I had a G4 powerbook, so my knowledge is a bit rusty and my recollection a bit hazy.

Part of the tutorial involves setting up a user password. Did you set up a user? Just guessing on this, I don't know if afppasswd gracefully fails or succeeds if you set a password for a non-existent user.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'N')ext, set up the AFP passwords, where "username" is a non-root UNIX user:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'touch /etc/netatalk/afppasswd
afppasswd -a username')

Can you browse your HFS+ drive from the plug in the mount folder you set up? (This was /timemachine in the tutorial)

Can you ping your plug from your mac? (Guessing this is yes, but just in case!)

Have you confirmed that the daemons (avahi, dbus, etc) are running on your plug? You could also try manually taking them down and then back up. (You're using vi, so I'm assuming you know how to restart / reload a daemon, but just in case: http://www.losurs.org/docs/tips/sysadmin/restart )

The last part of the tutorial is for restoring drives, but might give some interesting info. (Or just fail...) What comes back in the terminal on your mac when you try to mount the remote share?
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkdir /Volumes/TimeMachine
mount -t afp "afp://<plug_ip>/Time Machine" /Volumes/TimeMachine')
tramusen

Postby Fr0sTy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 pm

i didn't "touch" it at all, but i can see the drives if i type mount, and i can browse the drives as well. the first step i would like to do is at least be able to see those 2 drives on my home network, then worry about configuring a third drive for time machine.
Fr0sTy

Return to Community Supported