Is this possible with the pink Pogoplug?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Is this possible with the pink Pogoplug?

Postby sarikan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:24 am

Hi,
At the moment, the pink device at this address appears to be what is available to us in UK for a Pogoplug: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pogoplug-File-M ... 319&sr=1-2

It appears this is a new piece of hardware, and I'd like to know if it is possible for me to achieve the following setup:

I'd like to connect a western digital 1tb passport drive, which should power itself from the usb port on the device
I'd like to setup openvpn, some ftp server/client and truecrypt

I have no problems with losing the capabilities of the original software, I'm more interested in a device I can experiment on, which would also support the setup above.

Is this possible at the moment with the device I've given the link to?
sarikan

Re: Is this possible with the pink Pogoplug?

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 am

That model number is listed as an E02UK, which would make it an old-model pogoplug "v2 pinky"
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sarikan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 am

Assuming that I'll receive this device if I place an order, does it mean that I can achieve my setup? Actually I'm more than happy to end up with a device with a large user base :)
sarikan

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:28 pm

truecrypt is going to bite you, but anything else, should work. (truecrypt is processor heavy, this is after all an arm chip)

We do view ourselves as "the" distribution for these devices, but we understand that at least for the Marvell Kirkwood boards (pogo-E02/GFN/GFH/etc - NOT POGO-B0x line) there are versions of debian available, the occasional gentoo nutcase, etc.

At least when it comes to the PLX Semi "OXNAS" SoC, we're currently the only ones supporting a native OS, and not optware or a chroot.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby sarikan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Thank you,
At the moment, this appears to be the largest community I've come across. It'll be interesting to see truecrypt performance, but at least the wiki pages seem to contain entries for all the software I've asked for. Pogoplug appears to be a more stable hardware compared to alternatives such as Dreamplug, and I think I'm on my way to ordering one, to see what I can do with it ;)
sarikan

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:55 pm

I have:
  • 1 GoFlex Net (kirkwood, but with SATA) on ALARM that currently is a bit idle, but is being purposed for the auto-build system. (500GB attached)
  • 1 Pogoplug Pro (POGO-P01) on ALARM that is my household samba server, kernel development, and backup server. (>4TB attached)
  • 1 Pogoplug V3 (POGO-P21) on ALARM that is my rootfs/kernel test box :p (500GB attached eSATA)
  • 1 Pogoplug Pro (POGO-P01) that is running *stock* as a ssh tunnel server. (1GB flash)
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby flat5security » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:03 am

Hi thanks, I also have a pink pogoplug from the UK, I was wondering if using the stock instructions for the POGOPLUG Pink E02 would work for the E02UK?

Many thanks,
flat5security

Postby flat5security » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:18 pm

I have emailed pogoplug support and they have confirmed that this is indeed the same as the E02. I have also tried the install instructions for ArchLinux and it seems to work fine. I am still wrapping my head around how to install openVPN on this thing.
flat5security

Return to Community Supported