Arietta G25 serial ports

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Arietta G25 serial ports

Postby jesseF » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:08 am

ok, enjoy your holiday! I'm not in a huge rush. at this point I'm just glad that I don't appear to be doing something horribly wrong.

I was more or less aware of the pocket beagle, I think I considered it for this project but I wanted a small board that also has WiFi. Part of me slightly regrets the choice of the Arietta because it seems less supported and more expensive than other options. Anyway, I have it so I'm going to use it...
jesseF

Postby summers » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm

You could try $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'echo 1 > /sys/module/atmel_serial/parameters/debug')

First you have to find which module is the relevant one, on my pocket beagle the module is 8250. Then check whats in the parameter directory - alas for 8250 can't set debug ...

Pocket beagle vs arietta guess different strengths and weaknesses. The arietta is technical arch arm supported, the pocket beagle isn't - but is the same configuration as the beaglebone black. PB is more powerful (armv7) than arietta. Arietta yes has a wffi board that clips on and goes via usb IIRC. The PB has click board interfaces, and there are several that give wifi support - but I've not read f anyone doing this, I use the USB OTG port to just bring up the interfaces I need. Arietta is technically smaller than the PB, but PB is only larger by having double headers on both sides - so PB has *far* more IO, and that means slightly larger.

So both similar - just with some slightly different slants to them ...
summers

Postby jesseF » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:33 pm

I looked in the /sys/module/ directory but didn't find atmel_serial. I also didn't see anything that seemed relevant.
Here is the contents of /sys/module/
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '8021q
8250_core
at91_adc
at_hdmac
atmel_nand_controller
auth_rpcgss
blk_cgroup
block
brd
cfg80211
configfs
cpufreq
cpuidle
crc_t10dif
cryptomgr
dns_resolver
drm
drm_kms_helper
ehci_hcd
fb
firmware_class
fscrypto
ftdi_sio
fuse
g_cdc
garp
hid
i2c_algo_bit
i2c_at91
ip_tables
ipv6
kernel
keyboard
libata
libcomposite
llc
lockd
loop
mac80211
mmcblk
module
mousedev
mrp
netconsole
netpoll
nfs
nfs_layout_nfsv41_files
nfsv4
overlay
pcie_aspm
printk
psmouse
random
rcupdate
rfkill
rng_core
rt2800lib
rt2800usb
rt2x00lib
rt2x00usb
sata_mv
sch_fq_codel
scsi_mod
sdhci
sg
snd
snd_pcm
snd_timer
spidev
spurious
stp
sunrpc
tcp_cubic
u_ether
u_serial
ubi
ubifs
ums_realtek
usb_f_acm
usb_f_ecm
usb_storage
usbcore
usbhid
vt
watchdog
workqueue
x_tables
xhci_hcd
xz_dec
')
jesseF

Postby summers » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 am

Yes the only think I could see that was serial related, was the 8250. Not sure what you can set in 8250_core ...

Anyway I'm drawing a blank on debugging the kernel, or rather its looking a tad painful.

My gut feeling is we are getting to the stage of contacting Radu Pirea. Not sure how well known his email is, but it on the linux github for the atmel serial driver. Anyway may be worth contacting him, saying your serial doesn't come up, exactly your machine, and kernel; and that you are using the stock linux device tree for your board.

Radu may or may not be able to help - e.g. if he just gets too much email, may not get a reply. Also his reply may well be changes to make to the kernel, and so you'll have to compile from scratch. So best if you are happy with this.

Anyway its hard to see how else to make progress, you don't seem to be be doing anything obviously wrong, and its quite confusing.

Oh yes, thought some more about pocket beagle and your use case of adding wi-fi. The click boards that the pocket beagle uses, just use the inner row of pins, and that just gives power and serial interfaces (UART/i2c/SPI) and these aren't natural for a network adaptor, like wi-fi, which would ideally go via usb. The pocket beagle does have usb, on the outside row of pins. So that would be where to do wi-fi. Alas don't think there are any ready to use boards for that on the pocket beagle, so would need someone to do the wiring themselves. Also this would loose the beauty of the beagle family, that it has pins on both sides - and ideally daughter boards plug into both side. This makes the daughter board very stable.

Guess I should look and see what people are doing with the pocket beagle, seems rarely mentioned. I got one of the first released, and used it to get arch arm working on it. Now I just use it as my main armv7 board, so for developing any software that I work on. E.g. its currently half way through doing modern uboot for kirkwood devices ...
summers

Postby pba » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi, I'm in the same case. Have you come up with a solution yet?
pba

Postby jesseF » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:00 pm

I have not. I was actually about to post again. I got in contact with Radu Pirea and exchanged a couple of e-mails but then he kind of vanished and I haven't heard anything.
Summers had suggested compiling the atmel_serial driver as a module. I attempted to get cross compiling setup but ran into some errors following the instructions I found. I knew this could be a problem but, proceeded anyway. Looking at the kernel config it seemed that it can not be compiled as a module. After patiently waiting for the new kernel I was rewarded with an out of memory error (not a complete surprise).
Anyway, not 100% sure what to do next but, I would like to get this fixed.
jesseF

Previous

Return to Community Supported