where to begin with pogoplug pro?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

where to begin with pogoplug pro?

Postby BugMagnet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I have spent days researching pogoplug, trying to understand what my options are. not easy.

I saw several references here to a wiki, but when I tried to search for more information and perhaps a URL for it, the forum search configuration refused to provide any results for "wiki". blech.

I have been looking for something very low power to serve files. I am not just interested in providing a link for family and friends to occasionally download the latest vacation and baby photos. I have a large library of educational files and need to have some device to open the floodgates for 24/7 uploads.

When I saw an ad for pogoplug and read it needed only 4 watts, I decided to look into it as a possible solution for my file-sharing needs. If it could handle my bandwidth and some p2p file sharing application(s), it could save me $10-20/month on the electricity needed to run a computer or two serving up files.

First, I am not sure what I have exactly. The box and label merely says Pogoplug Pro. I cracked the black case and see a PLX chip and a sata port (CON3) and a 4-pin header labeled "J3". Next to the sata port is a 14 pad zone labeled HD5 but without any header soldered to it. Could this be for the PCIe support? There is a yellow label on one chip that says "Pogoplug Pro r2 12E8".

I read the [Installation] tab info at http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6 ... provideov3 but only got confused. It lists various models including P01 (Pro) with a PCIe connector but I don't have that on my pcb. That page indicates other versions (P21, B01-B04) that don't have the PCIe connector. Are those models also called "Pro"?

Could it be hacked into a decent file server running aps for torrents and emule?
BugMagnet

Re: where to begin with pogoplug pro?

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Ok:
First, all of the oxnas's have the same sticker on the on that chip, all of which say pro.
Second, Hmm, I see no reason it can't run torrent software like Transmission, but I am not a user of eMule so I can't say for a fact it will work on ARM based chips.
Third, what kind of local file access do you need? Samba work's decent, NFS sort-of works on the oxnas line (kernel vs mainline issues)
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby BugMagnet » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm

currently, most of my systems run windows only have a slight experience with linux but want to learn more and start building my network around it.

I'll use whatever works best for the external HD. What do you recommend? For initial setup, would it be best to load up all the files I intend to share on the external HD then just plug the filled drive into the PPPro?

What about the internal sata port? is that viable?

Is J3 for a console cable? I have no qualms about kluging one together as long as i have some wiring pinout guide.

I am setting up a cat5e ethernet system and would have wired LAN access to it locally if that is an option.
BugMagnet

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 am

J3 is a 3.3v serial console. JST header
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jphphotography » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:14 am

I'm still awaiting my Pogoplug Pro in the mail so I apologize if this is something that is obvious when looking at the connector. Can you provide the pinout for the serial or is it marked? I.E. 3.3V TX RX GND, also do you remember the baud rate off hand?

Thanks
jphphotography

Return to Community Supported