New archlinux and pogoplug pro

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

New archlinux and pogoplug pro

Postby bharath » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm

I have a new pogoplug pro and I want to install archlinux so that I can take advantage of pogoplug and be able to run smb/nfs server. I also want to run mysqld so that my xbmc can connect to it and store all my library there. Before I head down the path I had a few questions

• Do I need to backup my current root filesystem of the pogoplug before I switch to archlinux. Are there any documentation for it.
  • I have seen some people have success with setting up wireless. I would also like to use it over wireless, are there any caveats associated with using wireless.
  • Once I swtich to archlinux I assume I lose the current functionality of being able to share my files over the network using cloudengines interface.
bharath

Re: New archlinux and pogoplug pro

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm

You do not need to backup the original filesystem, as it is untouched.

Wireless can be configure but know that it is much slower compared to wired gigabit ethernet, and operates on 2.4Ghz only at a maximum of 150Mbps, but I have never seen performance exceed 70Mbps even in close range of a high-powered wireless N router.

You could run it mysql for that purpose, I haven't seen anyone else use it for that purpose before.

You will loose the original functionality because it uses proprietary binaries we cannot make available for use in our distribution.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bharath » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Great to know that original filesystem is untouched and I dont need to back it up. Yes, performance over wireless is significantly lower compared to wired. If I get a good 40-45Mbps of bandwidth on an average I should be good to be able to stream all of my required media files over wireless. If wireless doesnt work well then I will switch it to wired. If I can run mysqld then I should be all good to store my library on it that way I can use a small capacity compact flash to run my OS on my htpc for xbmc and store all my media on an external disk connected to the pogoplug. The idea is to share all my media and library across my media players, every one of them would see the same. I could stop a movie on one player and resume from that location from another :).

The last question I have is can I use nfsv4 on the pogoplug or am I bound to nfsv3.
bharath

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 pm

There are issues with nfsv4 on the Pro, kernel level issues. I'd use samba (for read it's quite performant) or nfsv3 if you can make that work.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bharath » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:30 am

Thanks for answering all my questions. One last one is there any recommended size for the USB flash drive to run archlinux?
bharath

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:25 pm

The best option is on a platter drive, but if you are going to run it on flash, I would personally use 4GB (by default partitions aren't split out so it contains everything on the system not from another external drive)

(I've run it on 1GB, 2GB, 4GB flash, 4GB just give you more space to "play" as a new user)
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bharath » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Most of my external drives are NTFS formatted so I will be installing it on archlinux on 4G flash drive.
bharath

Return to Community Supported