Port 22: bad file number error

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Port 22: bad file number error

Postby accurateKevin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I just loaded ArchLinux to my Pogoplug P21 using the (proper I think) instructions http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6 ... provideov3.

Everything seemed to work fine, I rebooted, and attempted to SSH to proceed.

However, I now get a port 22: bad file number error returned from terminal when I attempt the SSH connection. Does this indicate an install error? (I installed on a USB stick that is inserted in the front of the unit and there are no other devices attached.)

Any help greatly appreciated -- I'm just beginning to explore Linux builds so this is new to me.

--kevin
accurateKevin

Re: Port 22: bad file number error

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby accurateKevin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:18 pm

tks for the quick reply WarheadsSE. It does look like there's a firewall issue, though I'm not sure where. It's a simple net setup here: PogoPlug connected to Enet port of Cisco WiFi / firewall and my notebooks connect over WiFi. I disconnected from net and turned off all firewalls and still get same error. I run my wifi on a different subnet than enet conex, maybe that's it. will try straight enet conex to see if it works, then work my way back.
accurateKevin

Postby accurateKevin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Now that I think about it, I was able to SSH into the box while it was still a Pogoplug, only got the bad file number error after install. Since no firewall settings changed ....

I'll still try connecting everybody to a flat enet hub and see what I get.
accurateKevin

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Hmm. That is slightly odd, but I've never seen any issues (reported or personally) with that before.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby accurateKevin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Hmmm, I must be missing something blindingly obvious. I've stripped it down to bare bones: an HP Win7 machine cabled to the same Linksys hub to which the pogoplug / now alarm is connected. firewalls off on HP (I have Kaspersky, don't activate windows FW.). DHCP client table shows my Win7 @ 192,168,1,106 and the alarm @ 192.168.1.105. I go inside MADDE terminal and type "ssh root@192.168.1.105" and I get the same "bad file number error."

So I thought I'd try a different terminal. Downloaded PuTTY, and get a "connection refused" error.

As I'm typing I realize I might as well pull out a Mac and try it. Can't see what the host machine has to do with it, but at least it's a component I haven't swapped out yet.

Anyone with any pointers I owe a cold one to.
accurateKevin

Return to Community Supported