Backup and LED Problems, also some minor things

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Backup and LED Problems, also some minor things

Postby hilikustue » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi there,

I actually did it. :)

I have my Pogoplug Pro now up and running Archlinux. The samba server is doing what I want it to do and even sabnzbd is up and running.
I have had massive problems in the beginning and had to reinstall Archlinux 3 times because of what I wrote in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1688
I think the problem was my AC Plug Adapter (I am in Germany and have a UK Plug). Since I have the new adapter, I didn't have those problems.

However with the third installation now the Pogo is flashing its green LED and it just won't stop. I mean this rapid LED Flashing. I read the threads here regarding the LED but I couldn't find an answer on how to make the LED stop flashing (when the Pogo is up and running) and just make it shine green like it used to.

Before I would do this I would also like to make a backup of my Pogo on one of the two attached USB HDDs. How can I do that and just in case: How do I restore the Backup?

When I reboot my Plug, how do I make sure that sda is still the USB Flash Drive and not one of the HDDs and it will boot properly?

And my final question for now: In the guide it says that you shouldn't make a swapfile on a USB Flash Drive because it could wear out quickly. What does "quickly" in this case actually mean? I bought a new 8 GB Patriot USB Stick with 25 MB/s write performance just to install Archlinux on it and I hoped I could pack the 4 GB Swapfile (I also read that sabnzbd usually works much better if the swapfile is bigger than 1 GB on a system with not so much memory) on that stick too so that the HDDs would spin down automatically if the Pogo is idle.

I hope you guys can help me and thank you very much for this awesome Archlinux on Pogo project.
hilikustue

Re: Backup and LED Problems, also some minor things

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 pm

There are threads about mounting the factory rootfs and copying the necessary bits, search for usr/local/cloudengines, and that will fix your LED issue.

As for the swap file, quickly as in I killed a PNY in about a month.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:23 pm

You are also going to get extremely poor performance swapping to flash drives. Which then will translate to your whole system grinding to a halt because it's trying to swap.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby hilikustue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Ok thank you. Then I will leave the swap image where it is.

I searched the forum and found these two threads here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1156&p=7636&hilit=usr%2Flocal%2Fcloudengines#p7636 and here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1156&p=7636&hilit=usr%2Flocal%2Fcloudengines#p7636 and they are about the flashing LED. Unfortunately I think I need more guidance here.
What exactly should I copy to where? Do I have to prepare something before? Unmount a Volume? Reboot afterwards and so on. Maybe if one of you has the time to explain the procedure in detail....

The question still remains: How do I make a backup of my Flash Drive and how do I restore it just in Case.

Also how do I know which drive will be recognized as sda, sdb and so on? Is there an order of the USB Ports?
hilikustue

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby slycat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('hilikustue', 'T')he question still remains: How do I make a backup of my Flash Drive and how do I restore it just in Case.

My method for specifically my PPPro.
In it I refer to THIS PAGE as where I got it from, for my school laptop.

Of course this isn't the only way, but it works swell for any things I or nature messes up.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby hilikustue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'F')or the LED, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1625&p=9778#p9778

Thanks. I tried these lines
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mkdir -p /usr/local/cloudengines/bin
mkdir /tmp/ce
mount -t ubifs -o ro ubi0:rootfs /tmp/ce

cp /tmp/ce/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/xce.ko /usr/local/cloudengines/bin/
cp /tmp/ce/usr/local/cloudengines/bin/blparam /usr/local/cloudengines/bin/
cd /
umount /tmp/ce')
and checked the Mac Address in /usr/local/mac_addr (it was correct) but it didn't do any changes.

Also noteworthy may be that the Mac Address the Pogo has in the DHCP List of my router is different then the Mad Address in /usr/local/mac_addr

Any thoughts?
hilikustue

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Basically, at some point, it wasn't paying attention to that file (where set-oxnas-mac is called from DAEMONS) and it used it's defaulted one.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hilikustue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Ok, but you don't think it is related to the LED issue?

Edit: And more iportant: What should I do now?
hilikustue

Postby hilikustue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 am

Hi there,

I hate to double post but I am still stuck on the LED issue.
So if anybody could help me and explain, a bit step step wise, what to do, it would be highly apprecciated.

Thanks
hilikustue

Next

Return to Community Supported