[RESOLVED] System Created User's permissions failure?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

[RESOLVED] System Created User's permissions failure?

Postby bgulla » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:02 pm

I have been toying with this problem for days, actually weeks and wanted to share. On two different PogoPlugPros, I have installed the tarball, installed Udev-oxas(sp) and then attempted to install apache or mysql.

On both boxes, on each application, the created user (http/mysql) is unable to read from its home folder. I have yet to get mysql running correctly (swap enabled via sataHD), without running '--user=root' and apache needs all of it's permissions changed.

I do like to think I know what im doing and my boss, who is a unix master, even said, "something is fubar in the underbelly". Has anyone had any of the same experiences or has any advice? Thanks.
Last edited by bgulla on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgulla

Re: System Created User's permissions failure?

Postby mrsteveman1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Run each of them manually under strace to see what the chokepoint is
mrsteveman1

Postby Geoff » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:03 am

It was several months ago, but I don't recall having any difficulty getting mysql to work on my PogoPro; I don't have to run the daemon as root. You might check that the mysql user and group both exist; on mine, both uid and gid are 89:
/etc/passwd contains "mysql:x:89:89::/var/lib/mysql:/bin/false"
/etc/group contains "mysql:x:89:"
"ls -ld /var/lib/mysql/" shows "drwx------ 6 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 16 19:33 /var/lib/mysql/"
"ls -ld /var/run/mysqld/" shows "drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 16 19:33 /var/run/mysqld/"
I'm pretty sure I didn't need to change anything in /etc/mysql/my.cnf
It's good that you have swap space on a SATA-HD. I have that also, and I find that mysql makes very effective use of it.

As for Apache, I remember that after spending quite some time getting it up and running, I found that it was much too heavy, spawning too many processes using too much RAM. I was much happier after switching to lighttpd (along with eaccelerator to cache PHP code). If you decide to go that route, I could maybe help to optimize your lighttpd.conf
Geoff

Postby pepedog » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:29 am

Bgulla, how are you starting them?
pepedog
Developer

Re: [RESOLVED] System Created User's permissions failure?

Postby bgulla » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 am

I figured out the problem. I had reformatted my USB that contained the OS, and extracted the tarball onto the device. But unfortunately, I did not follow instructions, and untar-d the file as SUDO and not ROOT. I think that affected the permissions of the files and left my setup fu-bar-d.

EXTRACT THE TARBALL AS ROOT, NOT SUDO
bgulla

Return to Community Supported