Sata VS USB on Pro

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Sata VS USB on Pro

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Hmm... how are you transferring slycat?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby hp79 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'W')ow. Some mixed results there.

Network performance is of course, always going to be different than native, because you have to go through the network of course, meaning more subsystems for transferring data around. SCP is limited for obvious reasons (that we're trying to improve as a secondary issue), but samba et al are not encrypted so they have far less overhead. My best samba writes have been ~ 23MB/s sustained. Remember, the system is going to read the disk, into memory, and then pump it back out through the network. The local disk speed is much faster than the network. Memory, in the case, is a limiting factor. The iomega HMND:CE (600Mhz, 256MB oxnas with ~ 5900rpm 1TB sata) hits over 30MB/s writes with samba, so there is an example.

Yeah, I should have figured that "Geoff" was reporting his/her internal (local) transfer speed without going through the network. I have no business for internal file transfer on a Pogoplug, so Samba is the major usage for me. I've settled keeping the 640GB HDD on using the USB port. I wish I had the E02 version with higher clock single core cpu and double ram which people were getting for $23 couple days ago. I heard those people are getting almost 30MB/s transfer speed which is the max of USB2.0.
hp79

Postby slycat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 pm

WHSE, not sure what you mean.

From the linux box, I find my network shares under "Network" or now have the share permanently linked (shows smb:\\ path). On a windows machine I just open up a file browser and in the location bar type in the server name. Both machines are connected via wifi but the plug directly attached to the router. I don't have the port forwarded since its all intranet and my windows machine has some security features set off in order to allow faster transfer (before was 1.2MB/s but without security check of network-transfers its up to 2.96MB/s). Smb.conf has the usual options in global settings.

Feels bad, man.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:07 pm

I have a feeling your wireless is playing to your problem Slycat, honestly.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby slycat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Never thought of investigating since dlna would transmit without a hitch, but now I have.

**Reboot, no programs running except samba. No other network drains (verified with nethogs)
Used InSSIDer to pick a new clean wireless channel: no change.
Connected Win/Linux machine directly to router (PPPro still directly too): max 6.8MB/s
Win/Linux machine via Wifi (5 feet away): back to 1.8-2.6MB/s

Strangely scp/sftp transfers are showing the same limits. I am starting to believe it is more a security issue on my router (2wire RG). I guess a true test would be to start a samba server from my linux machine and connect to that. Meanwhile I'll be contacting the tech support from 2wire.
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby hp79 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 am

slycat,

Why don't you try using wired LAN, and not wifi? I also think it's your wifi making it slow.

If you have a 54 mbps G connection, it's only going to go up to 3 MB/s at best.
On a 300 mbps wifi N connection, you can get up to 18 MB/s. There's also a lot of wifi N routers or adapters that only do 150 mbps, or even 72 mbps. Using wifi, you can only get about half of the rated speed.
100 mbps LAN will give you close to 12 MB/s, while 1000 mbps gigabit LAN will give you up to 120 MB/s. Of course, the pogoplug will not be able to go anywhere near that speed but max out around 20-30MB/s depending on what your model is.

DLNA is probably working fine because it doesn't need that much transfer speed since it's just streaming. I saw the cpu usage is only about 3% when watching a movie on my tv through dlna.

What security checks did you disable in Windows? I want the last drop of speed for my Windows mapped pogoplug samba drive.
hp79

Postby slycat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 am

Hey hp79,
I use wifi because it's convenient really. Not really the fan of dropping lines through the house with our shallow attic.
After running all those tests earlier I pretty much summed it up to my G router's natural limitations. When I ran my LAN tests earlier I left the port speed on auto (later changed it to the max 100mbps on the pro's port). I mentioned DLNA because I assumed a 1080 rip would take over 2MB/s and never had buffer skips but I may be wrong.

As far as the security options, there were a few on my 2wire's firewall options that I took off but no real increase in speed. On my windows 7 machine, however, I use the MS Security Essentials (personally, it's all I need on this machine) and unchecked "Monitor file and program activity" (suggestion from some google searches) under the Real-time Protection tab.

Thanks for your input, I now get the full scope of things and accept my speed limit until I take time to change some things.
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby Socaltom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', 'i')ve found that for transferring media files over my home network it did not matter whether i use sata or usb, it was still limited to about 10Mb per sec. However using sata as the boot device was quite reliable.
Tom

I've made a few changes so I thought I would update this post.

Transferring between my plug and my Tivos with the Sata Drive on the Pro I've seen up to 50MB/s, under the same conditions using the same drive plugged into the USB port on my pink plug I see 8 to 10 MB/s.
So its a dramatic difference.
Transferring to my windows box the from the Sata drive reports 10 to 12 MB/s, transferring to the PinkV2 I see 6 to 8MB/s. Not as dramatic, but noticeable.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby sethjvm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Slycat,

Are you still using the setup as described below?

I am trying to do something similar with my PPPro and running into some issues when I reboot and wanted to see if I have set up the same as you. I am trying to figure out what varies about my setup.

Are you booting your PPPro from NAND into ALARM?
Is your rootfs sda1 attached via the SATA connection?
Is the 3TB drive formatted as GPT only or is it hybrid MBR/GPT?
Do you know if the 3TB drive is 4096 physical sectors or 512?

I have searched many of the other threads in this subforum and several threads in the V2 forum regarding the 3TB disks and it seems like the 3TB drive almost certainly requires hybrid MBR but your post seems to indicate that it may not be necessary if booting from NAND.

thanks.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('slycat', 'W')ell, it was too late to study and I was a little anxious with the harddrive in the enclosure that I decided to get it done.

Cracked open the PPPro, cut a slot for the cable, cut a rib to reduce strain, connected the sata-esata cable, and put it all back together. I then used parted to create
    5gb root folder
    4gb swap partition
    Rest for storage partition
I then extracted my latest backup onto the 5gb root partition, connected to sata and powered on.

...And I am stuck at the blinking LED :( I am not sure if it is trying to mount one of the other partitions first? Or if I should revert to stock firmware and reinstall ALArm with the oxnas script. The LED blinks at a random rate (first steady, then start to hold for a second, then blinks, then so on).

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Picky son of a b.... Re-did parted exactly as before (gpt, 0tb 3tb, print, etc.), made the partitions (ROOT=ext3!), extracted my backup.gz IN ROOT and not sudo, and presto. False alarm. (hehe, get it?)
Backing up my media now. Hoorah, sata!
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Previous

Return to Community Supported