Sata VS USB on Pro

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Sata VS USB on Pro

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:05 am

It does not, at least not until after boot. The stage0/1 boot logic/code does not know how to deal with the port multiplier, and halts the boot process. I'll try it again sometime, but the likelihood is very low as I am thinking that is the stage0 logic in the SoC.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby slycat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:34 am

Well, it was too late to study and I was a little anxious with the harddrive in the enclosure that I decided to get it done.

Cracked open the PPPro, cut a slot for the cable, cut a rib to reduce strain, connected the sata-esata cable, and put it all back together. I then used parted to create
    5gb root folder
    4gb swap partition
    Rest for storage partition
I then extracted my latest backup onto the 5gb root partition, connected to sata and powered on.

...And I am stuck at the blinking LED :( I am not sure if it is trying to mount one of the other partitions first? Or if I should revert to stock firmware and reinstall ALArm with the oxnas script. The LED blinks at a random rate (first steady, then start to hold for a second, then blinks, then so on).

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Picky son of a b.... Re-did parted exactly as before (gpt, 0tb 3tb, print, etc.), made the partitions (ROOT=ext3!), extracted my backup.gz IN ROOT and not sudo, and presto. False alarm. (hehe, get it?)
Backing up my media now. Hoorah, sata!
Last edited by slycat on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pogoplug Pro w/ Wireless User -> decomm.
Cubox-i4pro User
4TB eSATA HDD (8g/3700+ Sw/Storage)
Kodi / Transmission / Minidlna / Samba / Batch-audio-conversions / Lighttpd
------------------------------
Rollback Machine - Thanks to impatt
slycat

Postby varkey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'I')t does not, at least not until after boot. The stage0/1 boot logic/code does not know how to deal with the port multiplier, and halts the boot process. I'll try it again sometime, but the likelihood is very low as I am thinking that is the stage0 logic in the SoC.

So will it be possible to store the rootfs on a USB disk and boot from it as well and just use the 4 Bay Case with PM for data?
varkey

Postby Geoff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('slycat', 'I') then used parted to create
    5gb root folder
    4gb swap partition
    Rest for storage partition
I then extracted my latest backup onto the 5gb root partition, connected to sata and powered on.

The root partition should be formatted as an ext3 filesystem, while the storage partition can be ext4 if you like. Make sure the contents of your /etc/fstab match the filesystem types that you actually formatted. I don't think you'll ever fill a 4GB swap partition, but you might wish someday that you had a bigger root partition (mine already has 4GB used). I would suggest 8GB root partition and 1GB swap.
Geoff

Postby slycat » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:00 am

Whoops, forgot to mention that, I did make it from ext4 to 3 the second time around (though I could swear my USB root partition was 4 :? ). I already formatted the old drive for other uses now, though.

I am currently at 34% of the root partition capacity. The only things that build on it are logs (which I shrink weekly) and .torrent files (tiny). Thanks for the suggestion; WHSE once laughed at hearing a 4gb swap, but with so much to spare I never bothered to size it down.

Luckily I don't mount things via fstab for that reason. I call swapon and mounts during rc.local. I know it may go against the grain for some, but it's worked for me and if it ain't broke, ya know.

So far R/W speed on the plug are faster, but samba shares are still slower than expected. I believe it has to do something with my Windows machine because my linux box connecting through smb:\\ is nearly triple that of windows.

Thanks for the all the input, Geoff. "Upgrade Complete."
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

Postby hp79 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 am

I have a pink B01 purchased from jr.com for $20 shipped.
It's a 700MHz dual core model with 128MB RAM.
Installing Archlinux was a breeze, thanks to the scripts and all.

So, here are my results:
Samba USB: 24 MB/s read, 19 MB/s write
Samba SATA: 29 MB/s read, 22 MB/s write
SFTP (both): 3.5 - 4 MB/s read/write
From school accessing home SFTP: 300-400 KB/s read/write (limited by ISP, comcast cable service)

All connections are wired Gigabit lan through one or two gigabit routers. I can even get 100 MB/s when I move something from my desktop's SSD to laptop's SSD.

I was expecting something like 40 MB/s range for Samba on Pogoplug, but I guess this is the limit of the CPU.
I unplugged everything, put together everything back, and put the HDD back inside the 2.5" USB case. I'm just going to use it with USB.
Another thing, since I had extra VGA RAM coolers (copper heat sink with double sided heat transfer tapes), I was planning on putting it on the CPU. When I touched the CPU, it wasn't even hot so didn't add the heat sink. I think the majority of the heat is comming from the AC/DC power converter. Also, the one power plug that goes into the board from the power converter is 12V, just in case anyone had plans to use that for powering on the SATA drive. Since I wasn't able to find any SATA power, I just used a spare ATX power supply.

I used Windows 7, and the 2.5" HDD was formatted as ext4 partition mounted on /storage.

Is there anyone getting higher than 30 MB/s constantly either on SATA or USB? I'm guessing it'll all be the same, but just wondering if I have to do any optimizations or anything.

I really like the device though. It's has good enough speed, DLNA works and I can play mkv movies from my living room TV. I tried installing LAMP server, but I only got to the part setting up the Apache server. When I continued to php server, I kept getting an error so I gave up on that part.
Last edited by hp79 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
hp79

Postby Socaltom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:31 pm

ive found that for transferring media files over my home network it did not matter whether i use sata or usb, it was still limited to about 10Mb per sec. However using sata as the boot device was quite reliable.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Wow. Some mixed results there.

Network performance is of course, always going to be different than native, because you have to go through the network of course, meaning more subsystems for transferring data around. SCP is limited for obvious reasons (that we're trying to improve as a secondary issue), but samba et al are not encrypted so they have far less overhead. My best samba writes have been ~ 23MB/s sustained. Remember, the system is going to read the disk, into memory, and then pump it back out through the network. The local disk speed is much faster than the network. Memory, in the case, is a limiting factor. The iomega HMND:CE (600Mhz, 256MB oxnas with ~ 5900rpm 1TB sata) hits over 30MB/s writes with samba, so there is an example.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby telzey » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:00 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', 'i')ve found that for transferring media files over my home network it did not matter whether i use sata or usb, it was still limited to about 10Mb per sec. However using sata as the boot device was quite reliable.
Tom

Sound's like you're running on a 100Mb network connection and not a 1Gb network connection.
telzey

Postby slycat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Wow, I envy all of you. :x

PPPro w/ sata has no increase in speed compared to when I had USB. Worst part: I get no more than 2.96MB/s r/w when I am a room away.

Pro directly connected to ethernet, linux machine via wifi w/ one drywall in between. Even if I turn off all other network drains on the pro (dlna, bittorrent) still never past 2.96MB/s. Router is more than capable of transferring faster (>3MB/s download from ISP, router max rated up to 32MB/s).
Cubox-i4pro User
slycat

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported