[SOLVED] Can No Longer SSH into Pogoplug Because of Library

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

[SOLVED] Can No Longer SSH into Pogoplug Because of Library

Postby Sara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 pm

I can no longer SSH into my Pogoplug because I get the following error when I try:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
error while loading shared libraries libgdbm.so cannot open
')

This problem was reported in the arch-general mailing list, and the fix is in gdbm 1.10. I had ran some updates today at around 12:30 AM EST, but clearly I didn't get the update because I experienced the reported issue. If this upgrade is indeed now available in ArchLinux ARM, how do I update my box if I can't login? If I could chroot into it to run the upgrade, I would, but I don't have another computer with the necessary architecture (i.e. I have no other ARM computer). Any advice?

By the way, while SSH does not work, sshfs is working and I able to access my external hard drive attached to the Pogoplug. Also note that I have prevented any root access to my Pogoplug via ssh, so I really need to be able to login to then assume root and run upgrades.

Hopefully, I won't have to re-extract the rootfs.

Thanks for the help anyone can provide.
Last edited by Sara on Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sara

Re: Can No Longer SSH into Pogoplug Becausse of Library Brea

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Theoretically, you could manually extract the package for that update onto your rootfs, from another system, with only root access to the file system.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Sara » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:33 am

You're right, and unfortunately, that isn't the solution at the moment, because I checked the pacman log, and it did upgrade gdbm from 1.8.3-9 to 1.10-1, but still I have the error. Here is the list of the updates I ran earlier today:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[2011-12-02 00:42] starting full system upgrade
[2011-12-02 00:42] upgraded gdbm (1.8.3-9 -> 1.10-1)
[2011-12-02 00:42] upgraded man-db (2.6.0.2-2 -> 2.6.0.2-3)
[2011-12-02 00:42] upgraded mkinitcpio (0.8.0-1 -> 0.8.0-2)
[2011-12-02 00:43] upgraded perl (5.14.2-2 -> 5.14.2-4)
[2011-12-02 00:43] upgraded vimpager (1.6.1-1 -> 1.6.2-1)
')

My last upgrade prior to this one was 29 November, and that had no issues associated.

Edit: Thankfully, I had version 1.8.3-9 of gdbm in my pacman cache, and downgrading fixed the issue. Can I report ARM issues to the arch-general mailing list, or will an ARM developer take a look at this? Note that I don't have this issue with gdbm on my Arch laptop, which has version 1.10.
Sara

Postby kmihelich » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:54 am

Arch's mailing lists aren't the place for issues with this distro, we're not associated with upstream in that regard.

Since this is the only report of SSH breaking, it's really hard to diagnose. If it was something I saw on my development devices that would be another story. Can you provide any other information other than it's just not working?

While I don't have a Pro/v3, everything else we support is on my desk and it's all functioning normally after the big round of updates from the gdbm bump. If you're using a flash drive for your root filesystem and you're getting an inexplicable error that no one else can duplicate, 99% of the time it's the flash drive causing the problem. It might sound impossible, but it's actually true.

On a side note, the best time to do updates is in the evenings (US time). Daily builds are run in the morning and usually last into the afternoon, so if you ran an update in the middle of the 70ish packages that needed to be rebuilt for gdbm, you might have caught yourself in a bad spot.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: Can No Longer SSH into Pogoplug Because of Library Brea

Postby Sara » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 pm

My issue is now resolved, but it isn't resolved for other zsh users. zsh needs to be recompiled for gdbm-1.10. I couldn't login in SSH because zsh is my default shell, and that was broken. I recompiled it, and now everything is working with gdbm-1.10. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Sara

Re: [SOLVED] Can No Longer SSH into Pogoplug Because of Libr

Postby kmihelich » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:39 pm

That would do it. Didn't notice that zsh failed to build, I'll get that in there.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Community Supported