Pogoplug software and ArchLinux

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Pogoplug software and ArchLinux

Postby poppop » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi All

A question about the pogoplug software running on Archlinux.

According to the installation instructions it is impossible to run them after having installed archlinux.
What is the reason ?

Regards.
poppop

Re: Pogoplug software and ArchLinux

Postby kmihelich » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Their software requires their kernel to operate. If you want the Pogo functionality, don't install Arch.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 pm

I'll put it another way:

PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE

I'm really not trying to be smarmy, or an *****, but c'mon.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby dinjo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:59 am

There is always the revert script which takes you back to pogo firmware
dinjo

Postby poppop » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:14 am

Okay I know that the pogoplug software is not open source, but it doesn't mean that it is impossible to load the modules in the kernel directly...

Does anybody have an alternative for cloud computing ? I tried owncloud but it crashes when trying to iterate my drive.

Regards.
poppop

Postby kmihelich » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('poppop', 'O')kay I know that the pogoplug software is not open source, but it doesn't mean that it is impossible to load the modules in the kernel directly...

That's exactly what it means. We didn't go out of our way to say what we did on the install pages for fun, there is no answer other than no.

You also need to be far more specific than "cloud computing." I don't think a more vague term has ever been coined. There is tons of software out there, and it's nothing more than mixing and matching to achieve the desired results. Google is your friend too; if you have a question, there is a high probability someone else has asked it as well.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby poppop » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 am

Indeed I was maybe not precise enough when I said cloud computing.
Behind this words I meant a software enabling easy sharing especially through a web interface.
The same capability than the Pogoplug in fact but with getter performance for native file access (nfs or sshfs).

BTW there's no need to be so patronizing with new people,.. I did the normal searches on google before asking
here. If I started this thread it is because I didn't find my answer. I saw some posts saying that previous versions of Arch Linux ARM were able to load the PP modules but with new kernel version this ability had been broken. I wanted to be sure there was no way this feature comes back in the future. Now I got my answer.

Regards
poppop

Postby kmihelich » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:00 am

There was no patronizing, but there was enough restating of what is a definitive statement of incompatibility that is duplicated across each of the installation pages for hardware that it applies to. At the very beginning of this distro there was compatibility because it was nothing more than optware. However, there has not been any support whatsoever in nearly two years. The stock firmware (even on brand new hardware) is based on kernel 2.6.31. They stay in the increasingly distant past, and we move forward daily.

These forums are also a valuable resource of what others have tried in your situation. You're not the first to have asked about this.
kmihelich
Developer

Postby jmandawg » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:18 pm

If you need/want to run the pogo software, just install OPTWARE instead of arch. They should have most packages you would want.
jmandawg

Return to Community Supported