Kernel upgrade

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Kernel upgrade

Postby yossarian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I followed the instructions to install archlinux on my Pogoplug Pro, and it worked. I then upgraded my packages, and I see there is a newer kernel package which installed (linux 3.1.4-2). However the running kernel is still the older version. Rebooting does not solve this.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@pogoplugpro ~]# uname -a
Linux pogoplugpro 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 #99 SMP Sun May 29 03:04:43 EDT 2011 armv6l ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l) Oxsemi NAS GNU/Linux
[root@pogoplugpro ~]# pacman -Q linux
linux 3.1.4-2')

How do I flash the newer kernel so that it's actually loaded at boot time?
yossarian

Re: Kernel upgrade

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 pm

When we are ready to release the updated kernel for the Oxnas based plugs, we'll make a huge announcement, trust us.

That's a behavioral choice we made when we brought up support for the oxnas's to keep them running the latest releases, we have to allow the behavior of caching the mainline 'linux' package. We often see some confusion about this, and we can understand. But for the moment, we are not ready to put the Oxnas platform to kernel 3.1+
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:10 pm

That kernel is not for your device, just ignore it.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby yossarian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Okay, but there are some kernel modules missing for the 2.6.31.6_SMP_820 kernel, which appear to be there for the 3.1.4-2-ARCH kernel, but are obviously not usable. In particular I'm interested in the media/video/hdpvr driver for the Hauppauge HD-PVR USB video capture device. Should I try to compile the driver for the current kernel myself, or is the new kernel going to be ready "soon"?
yossarian

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:02 pm

At this rate, it may make it for new year.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Community Supported