[How-To] Enable Wireless

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: [How-To] Enable Wireless

Postby takbal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:20 pm

After a bit struggle, I compiled the RT3390 module for WarheadsSE's latest kernel sources on Ubuntu with the gnu-linux-gnueabi crosschain toolset. The trick was to add pci support to his this.config setup. Without that, although the module loads, but ifconfig ra0 up does nothing.

Binary is here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/3GAazB_1/rt3390stako.html

Copy it into /usr/lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, then run depmod -a. Then I did the rest what is described at the beginning of the thread, and now have wifi working.
takbal

Postby Geoff » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Thank you for compiling the RT3390 module. I have tried it on my PogoPro, and I confirm that it works. :)
Geoff

Postby sethjvm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Geoff', 'T')hank you for compiling the RT3390 module. I have tried it on my PogoPro, and I confirm that it works. :)

Did you use your method from page 3?
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sethjvm', 'D')id you use your method from page 3?

Yes, except that /etc/conf.d/wireless got renamed to wireless.pacsave, after various upgrades. The parameters that I was setting there, I now set as default values in /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat ... However, I think the "network" daemon should still use /etc/conf.d/wireless, if you rename it back again.
Geoff

Postby sethjvm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

I must have screwed something up on my Pogoplug Pro because I don't have a /etc/conf.d/wireless file.

Here is the process I used on a fresh install of the rootfs (downloaded the latest, extracted to my drive and edited mac_addr, and booted up):

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('scorp', '
')$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -S wifi-select

mkdir /tmp/ce

mount -t ubifs -o ro ubi0:rootfs /tmp/ce

mkdir /etc/Wireless

/bin/cp -rfv /tmp/ce/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA /etc/Wireless
')

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('takbal', '
')Binary is here:

http://www.2shared.com/file/3GAazB_1/rt3390stako.html

Copy it into /usr/lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, then run depmod -a.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('franoreilly', '
')Changed the MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf line to :

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
MODULES=(gmac rt3390sta !rt2800pci)
')

and added this to the network section of /etc/rc.conf
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Geoff', '
')$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
eth0="dhcp"
ra0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 ra0)')

However, I don't have a /etc/conf.d/wireless file so I created one and pasted this in.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Geoff', '
')$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'WIRELESS_TIMEOUT=2 # sleep awhile after bringing up ra0, before starting dhcpcd
if [[ "$0 $1" = "/etc/rc.d/network start" ]] ; then
ifconfig ra0 up
iwpriv ra0 set WirelessMode=0 # 0=bg 1=b 2=a 3=abg 4=g 5=abgn 6=n 7=gn 8=an 9=bgn 10=agn
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="password here without quotes"
sleep ${WIRELESS_TIMEOUT}
fi
wlan_ra0="SSID name here without quotes"
WLAN_INTERFACES=(ra0)')

Rebooted. The green light flashes and then turns solid green but I don't have any network access nor does it appear to be requesting an IP address from my router.. Any pointers on what I did wrong? I would love to have wireless back.
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
sethjvm

Postby pepedog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm

In archlinuxarm you can no longer blacklist modules in rc.conf with a !
pepedog
Developer

Postby sethjvm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Do you know if I will indeed have to blacklist that module in modprobe.d or can I just delete it from the Modules section.
sethjvm

Postby pepedog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:30 pm

yes, blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/
Don't forget filename has to end in .conf
pepedog
Developer

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm not blacklisting any wireless modules these days. I think the need to do that went away a while back. Also, note that the method of setting wireless parameters using /etc/conf.d/wireless doesn't work if your SSID or password contains whitespace (blanks). There's no problem setting them in /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat though, even if they contain whitespace.
Geoff

Postby sethjvm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Geoff', 'I')'m not blacklisting any wireless modules these days. I think the need to do that went away a while back. Also, note that the method of setting wireless parameters using /etc/conf.d/wireless doesn't work if your SSID or password contains whitespace (blanks). There's no problem setting them in /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat though, even if they contain whitespace.

I am still having problems. I deleted !rt2800pci from the Modules section of rc.conf and tried blacklisting rt2800pci with /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'blacklist rt2800pci')

I seem to be having this issue.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'O')K. I got it working. The real problem here was the WirelessMode :-) It was set to a default value of 9 (which is mixed g/b/n). My wireless network is n-only. So it was never get attached to the Access Point. Setting it to 6 (n only) got it running.

So I guess I need to mess around with the WirelessMode which seems odd to me because I never had to set the WirelessMode before the July kernel upgrade. It is one of those things that is slightly frustrating because my Linux skills are so basic that I lack the ability to do quality troubleshooting.
sethjvm

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported