[How-To] Enable Wireless

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: [How-To] Enable Wireless

Postby radtech » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm also still having trouble with this and have tried all of the above on three different routers with every possible permutation of security settings. I know the hardware works (reverted back to Pogo software twice to verify). It just doesn't seem to be communicating with the router(s) at all with the instructions above. The plug times out waiting for an address but the router doesn't even show a connection attempt.
radtech

Postby babar » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:51 am

hi ,
thanks all for your great works
i have the same issue
my wifi configuration was working before the update
i have reinstalled from the tar

no association with the AP
iwlist scanning found nothing

i have tried an wifi usb key that works on my pink pogo :
it is detected as wlan0
the activity led of the key is blinking but iwlist scan found nothing

regards
babar

Postby takbal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sethjvm', '
')Here is the process I used on a fresh install of the rootfs

I have a similar setup, but I am also using dhcpcd. My procedure is:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
pacman -S dhcpcd
pacman -S wifi-select

mkdir /tmp/ce
mount -t ubifs -o ro ubi0:rootfs /tmp/ce
mkdir /etc/Wireless
/bin/cp -rfv /tmp/ce/etc/Wireless/RT2860STA /etc/Wireless

cp rt3390sta.ko.gz /usr/lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
depmod -a
')
edit of /etc/rc.conf:

MODULES=(gmac rt3390sta)
interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
broadcast=
gateway=

ra0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 ra0)
')
/etc/rc.local full content:

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user start-up script.
#
ifconfig ra0 up
iwpriv ra0 set NetworkType=Infra
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
iwpriv ra0 set SSID="mynetwork"
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="mypassword"
dhcpcd ra0
')
Then reboot. I have both wifi and LAN working simultaneously, though the LAN cable must be connected at boot-time to get an IP through that.
Last edited by takbal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
takbal

Postby takbal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 pm

The following helps to decide whether you have kernel module problems. After reboot, try issuing from the command line:

ifconfig ra0 up
ifconfig
lsmod
')
'ifconfig' should print an 'ra0:' entry in the list of accessible interfaces, and 'lsmod' should print a line like

Module Size Used by
rt3390sta 893736 1
')
If not, your kernel module was not loaded, so the wifi-related commands will fail. You can also use

modprobe -c | grep rt3390sta
')
to check whether 'depmod -a' detected the rt3390sta.ko.gz module. On my plug it gives

alias pci:v00001814d00003090sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rt3390sta
alias pci:v00001814d00003091sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rt3390sta
alias pci:v00001814d00003092sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rt3390sta
alias pci:v00001814d00003390sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rt3390sta
')
You will also need the PCI version of WarheadsSE's kernels, but the install script takes care of that in theory.
takbal

Postby radtech » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I'm not unfamiliar with linux or with troubleshooting wireless issues. The problem is that I'm not getting any identifiable errors. Just a failure to connect. So...

I did a complete ground up installation. Followed your instructions to the letter. Same result. I even manually flashed the PCI kernel to make sure that was what I have loaded. No change.

lsmod confirms the module is loaded.
modprobe -c gives me the same result you get.

Still no connection attempts logged on the router. Revert back to Pogo software... comes right up.

I'm going to give it a try on another pro I have available and see if anything is different.
radtech

Postby bodhi » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:51 pm

@radtech,

Have you looked at the .dat file to make sure the default settings are what you expect. My previous problem with connecting was described here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2031&start=20#p14748

It could be just something as trivial as wireless mode, security mode,... default values in the .dat file.
bodhi

Postby radtech » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:16 pm

@bodhi... thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I'd already checked for those kinds of issues. Now the interesting bit is... I get different results with a different plug. I tried this on another plug and saw the connection attempt on the router immediately. Tinkered a bit and got it working. I then modified the mac_addr file on the drive and put it on the non-functional plug, rebooted and... it still didn't work. But reverted it to pogo software again and up it comes. Must be some difference in the hardware but I can't, for the life of me, find it.
radtech

Postby bodhi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:25 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('radtech', '@')bodhi... thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I'd already checked for those kinds of issues. Now the interesting bit is... I get different results with a different plug. I tried this on another plug and saw the connection attempt on the router immediately. Tinkered a bit and got it working. I then modified the mac_addr file on the drive and put it on the non-functional plug, rebooted and... it still didn't work. But reverted it to pogo software again and up it comes. Must be some difference in the hardware but I can't, for the life of me, find it.

@radtech,

Do you have any exception in dmesg? (I regularly got exception shown in dmesg but the wifi module still works ok). Other than MAC addr, if you didn't, you should also check if there is any difference in dmesg outputs between the 2 plugs. I sympathize with your frustration! when I experienced the same connection problem nothing in the log files would show any hint :-)
bodhi

Postby takbal » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:59 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('radtech', 'S')till no connection attempts logged on the router.

If you try

iwlist ra0 scanning
')
does it show the list of detected networks? If yes, your plug is working as it should, and it is probably some security configuration error. It can be on the router side as well, so you can also try a different router.
takbal

Postby sethjvm » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('takbal', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('radtech', 'S')till no connection attempts logged on the router.

If you try

iwlist ra0 scanning
')
does it show the list of detected networks? If yes, your plug is working as it should, and it is probably some security configuration error. It can be on the router side as well, so you can also try a different router.

I get this:

[root@alarm ~]# iwlist ra0 scanning
ra0 No scan results
')

Not sure what that means other than it is not finding any external networks.
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported