[How-To] Enable Wireless

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: [How-To] Enable Wireless

Postby ckiick » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:53 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Roberto48', 'I')'m not succeeded in bringing up the wireless mode.
For example: do I have to use wpa_supplicant yes or no.
I'm a bit hopeless.... maybe someone can explain the different methods, so I understand what i'm doing and better, how it works.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

You do not have to run wpa_supplicant. In your situation, lets start with the manual method. If you get that to work, you can then try to set up netcfg to do it automatically for you.

Make sure you have the driver installed by running lsmod. If it's not there try doing "modprobe rt3390sta". If that doesn't work then download the driver and copy to the correct place as pointed out in previous posts. Be sure you have the DAT file or the driver won't load. It's all there in the posts.

Do these commands as root.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
ifconfig ra0 up
iwpriv ra0 set WpaSupport=0 # this may fail depending on driver version. just keep going.
iwpriv ra0 set WirelessMode=Managed
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
iwpriv ra0 set SSID=<Your network name>
iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK=<your network passkey>
iwconfig ra0 # shows the wireless interface configuration.
dhcpcd ra0
')

If dhcpcd succeeds then you should be up on the wireless network. Test it. (ping, ssh, etc)

Empathizing with WarheadsSE.
--
Chris J. Kiick Robot builder and all-around geek.
ckiick

Postby Roberto48 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:17 pm

error on the first step.. ifconfig ra0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Other commands no error, and dhcpcd ra0 gives waiting for carrier and then timed out.
Roberto48

Postby Roberto48 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I had no RT2860STA.dat file, so I made an empty one and yes, now I can start the interface with ifconfig ra0 up. I see indeed in lsmod the 0 changed in 1 for that module.
When I follow your steps all went OK but iwconfig ra0 gives no information of what I set by iwpriv.
When I run dhcpcd ra0 I have got the IPv6 messages and then timed out.
One step further but still not succeeded!
Roberto48

Postby sethjvm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:23 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Roberto48', 'I') had no RT2860STA.dat file, so I made an empty one and yes, now I can start the interface with ifconfig ra0 up. I see indeed in lsmod the 0 changed in 1 for that module.
When I follow your steps all went OK but iwconfig ra0 gives no information of what I set by iwpriv.
When I run dhcpcd ra0 I have got the IPv6 messages and then timed out.
One step further but still not succeeded!

I admire your persistence. I am having the same issues you are so there must be something that you and I are both doing the same and wrong.

Are you booting from a SATA drive?
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby Roberto48 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:27 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') admire your persistence. I am having the same issues you are so there must be something that you and I are both doing the same and wrong.

Are you booting from a SATA drive?

I nearly give it up... No I'm using an USB stick.

The strange (?) thing is that the RT2860STA module is allready up when my Pogoplug is up-and-running, without doing a ifconfig ra0 up command.
When I do the commands ckiick advised, it seems that my Pogoplug is tring to get a connection but also kills my eth0 connection because it timed out and I have to restart the plug.
Roberto48

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:08 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Roberto48', 'i')t seems that my Pogoplug is tring to get a connection but also kills my eth0 connection because it timed out and I have to restart the plug.

While you're sorting it out, you're better off not to include wireless in "NETWORKS=(ethernet wireless)" in /etc/conf.d/netcfg or in /etc/rc.conf if that's where you're setting it (assuming your ra0 config is /etc/network.d/wireless). Once you have it booted up with only the eth0 connection, you can ssh in and use "netcfg wireless" to try starting up ra0 to see if it works. You'll save yourself a lot of rebooting that way.
Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Trying out the PogoPro wireless connection with a new Actiontec DSL modem/router, I discovered that it can't handle AES encryption. I had to change settings on the router to allow TKIP encryption also, in order to get it to work. Also, I found that dhcpcd works OK with this router, but fails when used with netcfg/wpa_supplicant. It can take a lot of patience to find some combination of parameters that works with any particular router, so I sympathize with all those who are struggling.
Geoff

Postby Roberto48 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '.')...so I sympathize with all those who are struggling.

Thanks! but I started again from the beginning. The module is loaded and with $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'ifconfig ra0 up') I can activate the module but... I read somewhere that with the command $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'iwlist ra0 scanning') you should see the available wifi networks. I don't see anything. Is that the cause of my problem? Maybe the driver is not working for my wifi card?
Roberto48

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:37 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Geoff', 'I') just discovered that dhcpcd works OK with this router, but fails when used with netcfg/wpa_supplicant.

I just figured out that dhcpcd needs the -K flag in order to make it work properly with or without wpa_supplicant. I have set this flag in both /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd and /etc/network.d/wireless to take care of this, and I have edited my previous posts to reflect this.
Geoff

Postby Stomps » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am

Following Geoff's directions from a few pages back at Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm I was able to get my wireless working on my pogoplug pro with the netcfg setup. But for whatever reason I can't get it to start up on boot. I know that I have followed the direction correctly but once I log in after a reboot, and ifconfig, the ra0 interface is not present. If it enter "ifconfig ra0 up" it comes right up and connects. The only place that the SSID and password are stored are inside the created 'wireless' profile in /etc/network.d folder. It must be reading that profile and caching the information, but it is not bringing the interface up during the boot process. I think it is probably related to a bug in netcfg where it runs the profile before the interface is available. That is what I glean from here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151662

Any other ideas?

edit:
My solution has been to put:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
netcfg down wireless > /dev/null 2>&1
sleep 3
netcfg wireless > /dev/null 2>&1
')
in rc.local. And it works fine now.
Stomps

PreviousNext