[How-To] Boot Entirely from SATA

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: [How-To] Boot Entirely from SATA

Postby Socaltom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:37 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JohnJohn68', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', '
')Do you have a Pro or a V3? If you don't have a pro you need to change the symlinks to address the non-PCI bus

Did you remove all the partitions before you ran disk_create?

I have a Pogoplug P21. I think it is a V3. is it true? consequently I have to change the symlinks to address the non-PCI bus. How can I change it?
Yes, I removed all the partition before I ran disk_create

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')Do not format the 1st primary partition, just create a dos-compatible partition table

So, it is not a problem if I used gparted, but it is not correct format the 1st primary partition in msdos fat16. How can I just create a dos-compatible partition table?

Thanks a lot Tom. I apologize for the stupid questions, but I'm new user of linux. I just have two weeks of experience in raspbian with my raspberry pi, and only few hours in arch linux.

Have good time
Ionny

Its not the right way to do it, but what I did was cp the non-pci version to be named the same as the pci version, It doens't change the symlink, but the right file is used.

I have no experience with gparted.

If you use fdisk, then delete all partitions, then select option "o" to create the dos partition table, then us n to create the partitions, then w to write them.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby JohnJohn68 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JohnJohn68', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Socaltom', '
')Its not the right way to do it, but what I did was cp the non-pci version to be named the same as the pci version, It doens't change the symlink, but the right file is used.

I have no experience with gparted.

If you use fdisk, then delete all partitions, then select option "o" to create the dos partition table, then us n to create the partitions, then w to write them.
Tom

I'm pretty sure that I did not followed the right procedure. What is it means "cp the non-pci version to be named the same as the pci version"? I just rename the file?

Fdisk: have I to follow your simply step? In this way I apply a dos partition table at the entire device. After, I can specify the dimension I choose for the primary partition. Is it correct?

The first should be only resized, the second one should be formatted ext3 and resized. Is it correct?
JohnJohn68

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 am

Lonny, I hope you haven't given up. You just need to be a bit more confident with shell commands such as cp, mv, ln, etc. Don't worry about partitioning (fdisk) versus partitioning+formatting (gparted). What you did with gparted should be ok, although perhaps you could have specified "unformatted" when creating the first partition. The "disk_create" installer script overwrites the partition anyway.
Geoff

Postby JohnJohn68 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks a lot Geoff,
I really don't understand what I have to do with "cp the non-pci version to be named the same as the pci version" ... I have to copy or rename the file?
Syncerely
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Postby Socaltom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:44 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('JohnJohn68', 'T')hanks a lot Geoff,
I really don't understand what I have to do with "cp the non-pci version to be named the same as the pci version" ... I have to copy or rename the file?
Syncerely
Ionny

Either one works
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby emax20000 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi , i've tryed to boot my green blinking pogoplus from sata following the instruction but when i connect the disk the pogo don't blink anymore (stay off) . I have a question in the main post is write "Writing Stage1 & U-Boot Once you have configure your setup with the correct drive, and stage1/u-boot/uImage, you may run the script via `./disk_create`. Doing this will pre-setup the MBR, stage1 & u-boot. You will get an error from dd about the uImage not writing. You haven't partitioned yet." , I don't receive error message it seems that it is not written anything to disk , there are a way to check if partition 1 and mbr are written?

P.S.
The script has been modified with the correct /dev/sde in my case.
emax20000

Postby karog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('emax20000', 't')here are a way to check if partition 1 and mbr are written?

I wrote some scripts that can read the files back available as sataread.tar.gz

sataread.tar.gz contains 5 scripts: sataread, satareadmagic, satareadstage1, satareaduboot, satareaduimage.

The latter four all use sataread which must be accessible via PATH. They all take two arguments, the filename into which the data is to be stored and the device as sdX eg sda, not /dev/sda. The scripts first validate the device among sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, or sde. If you need some other device, the scripts will need to be modified.

The individual sataread's contain the exact number of bytes to read that is dependent on the versions when I wrote this so if they have changed, the scripts must be adjusted.

You can then compare the data thus obtained with what you believe should have been written.
Last edited by karog on Tue May 14, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karog

Postby Socaltom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Has anyone tried erasing the MBR prior to doing these changes?
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby emax20000 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('karog', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('emax20000', 't')here are a way to check if partition 1 and mbr are written?

I wrote some scripts that can read the files back available as sataread.tar.gz

sataread.tar.gz contains 5 scripts: sataread, satareadmagic, satareadstage1, satareadboot, satareaduimage.

The latter four all use sataread which must be accessible via PATH. They all take two arguments, the filename into which the data is to be stored and the device as sdX eg sda, not /dev/sda. The scripts first validate the device among sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, or sde. If you need some other device, the scripts will need to be modified.

The individual sataread's contain the exact number of bytes to read that is dependent on the versions when I wrote this so if they have changed, the scripts must be adjusted.

You can then compare the data thus obtained with what you believe should have been written.

Please the command is sataread namefile sde1 ?
emax20000

Postby karog » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('emax20000', 'P')lease the command is sataread namefile sde1 ?

Don't use sataread directly. Use the others, satareadmagic, etc depending on which you want to read. With them always use just sde. satareaduimage will add the 1 for sde1 when it calls sataread.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
satareadmagic magic sde
satareadstage1 stage1 sde
satareaduboot uboot sde
satareaduimage uimage sde
')

and the results will be in the files magic, stage1, uboot, uimage or whatever other names you might choose.
Last edited by karog on Tue May 14, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karog

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported