All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note [updated]

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note [updated]

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Read the SECOND post

For those of you with PLX based systems (Pro, V3, new "Classic"):

The problems encountered by the community come down to a change in the initscripts package and the startup scripts contained therein that are looking for devtmpfs which the oxnas kernel (2.6.31) does not have in it.

Prior to upgrading and catching initscripts, you need to edit /etc/pacman.conf and add initscripts to the IgnorePkg= line.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
IgnorePkg=initscripts
')

This will prevent this package from being upgraded for the time being. I have updated the oxnas-latest tarball to reflect this change.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2334&start=50#p13573
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Due to the changes in udev/systemd, plus devtmpfs requirements, I have been forced to do things in a way I'd rather not. In that, I was forced to back port, and in the span of about 3 hours, compile, spawn, test & deploy a full image updater.

I have backported devtmpfs to the oxnas' 2.6.31.6 kernel (it is still the most stable), and am using a libaccept4 package to provide that syscall. These changes do a few things: remove the need for udev-oxnas, and remove the blacklist requirement for initscripts. I have also built out a large portion of the modules that were requested, as well as gz'd them for space saving.

However, the updater that I will link at the end, will only flash the non-PCI kernel, because I needed it done, and detecting that properly was not in my time frame.

The update:
I have a newly compiled kernel, with many modules, and backported features. This kernel's modules will not boot the former image, as they are compiled against a newer glibc. The image contains a script, uImages and lib/modules tree. The contained script will -
- copy the uImages
- copy the lib/modules
- write the uImage.nopci to nand (slot A @ mtd0:0x500000)
- leave a copy of the old kernel in nand as a backup (slot B @ mtd0:0xB00000)

This is designed obviously for CloudEngines PLX OX7280 chipsets. For those using other PLX devices, please take the appropriate steps accordingly to place the uImage as necessary as well as the lib/modules tree.

If you wish to use the PCI bus on a Pro/Video, then you will need to manually flash the PCI uImage, for that, read the lines of the update script, as it is commented/noted.

updater package

I will be rolling a new rootfs with this kernel & modules. I will leave the existing one intact for those that are behind in doing this update.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note [updated]

Postby timschuerewegen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:58 pm

update-kernel.sh line 26

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Sy mtd-utils libaccept4 --Ignore pacman')
should be

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Sy mtd-utils libaccept4 --ignore pacman')
or else you get the following error:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman: unrecognized option '--Ignore'')
timschuerewegen

Postby timschuerewegen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 pm

FYI. The last two commands (flash_erase & nandwrite) did not execute on my system because PATH does not contain "/usr/local/cloudengines/bin".
timschuerewegen

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 pm

mtd-utils should provide this.

--Ignore being fixed.

Ignore this: "WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/2.6.31.6_SMP_820/modules.builtin: No such file or directory"
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jmandawg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:09 am

Can we un-blacklist initscripts and run a pacman -Syu after we do this?
jmandawg

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:16 am

Please re-read the 2nd post's paragraphs..
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jmandawg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 am

I had to install the kernel (pci) and modules manually since i'm running off the sata port, it booted up fine, but after un-commenting the initscripts i ran the update it's not doing so well....

I had to run the update like "Arch News" suggested because /var/run was in the way:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem && rm -rf /var/run /var/lock && \
pacman -S filesystem')

I replaced udev-oxnas, and libusb with libusbx

Maybe i wasn't supposed to do this.
jmandawg

Re: All PLX based chips - Important Upgrade Note

Postby shankargopal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:17 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') will be rolling a new rootfs with this kernel & modules. I will leave the existing one intact for those that are behind in doing this update.

Sorry, just to confirm something - so this update can be run with the existing rootfs, right? Or should one wait for the new rootfs?
shankargopal

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:31 pm

This update is for device that have had the old kernel installed. Fresh install devices, and devices that have had this update run will be able to use the new rootfs directly.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Next

Return to Community Supported