Recompiling and flashing a Pro kernel

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Recompiling and flashing a Pro kernel

Postby intrax » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I guess you are referring to https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26776
Will try to get that working for oxnas810 using parts from the 2.6.24.4 kernel sources Ive got...
edit: well I see someone allready tried (http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=5787), so that road seems closed... :evil:
intrax

Postby shv » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:34 am

I tried the 2.6.31.14 patch set from telezy (see Link). It works well for some USB devices (FTDI USB2Serial interface, PCSC cardreader) which were not working with WarheadsSEs 2.6.31.6 kernel.
Debian @ Pogoplug Pro (actively used)
Debian @ Pogoplug E02
shv

Postby rchlnx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('shv', 'I') tried the 2.6.31.14 patch set from telezy (see Link). It works well for some USB devices (FTDI USB2Serial interface, PCSC cardreader) which were not working with WarheadsSEs 2.6.31.6 kernel.

good to know!!!

pcsc is giving me headaches since quite some time. do you have anything ready to "try", without going the compiling-road?

much appreciated, thanx :idea:
rchlnx

Postby celemine1gig » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi,

I just thought I'd stop by to tell you my findings.
Recently I compiled lots of 2.6.31.6, 2.6.31.14 and also lots of 3.1.10 kernels.

Problem with the 2.6.31.x kernels:
- I could NOT get compressed UBIFS in NAND to work.

Problem with 3.1.10 kernels:
- USB and SATA write performance seems to be remarkebly lower than with the older kernels.

The problems with the 3.1.10 kernels were first reported by shv. I then did some testing of my own and could replicate the problem, with both my own config and WarheadsSE's default config.
celemine1gig

Postby shv » Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('rchlnx', 'g')ood to know!!!

pcsc is giving me headaches since quite some time. do you have anything ready to "try", without going the compiling-road?

much appreciated, thanx :idea:

You could try some precompiled kernels of celemine1gig. I took the kernel 2.6.31.14-pp-v3-pci-1.0-cc_1357581877.tar.bz2 but the USB and SATA write performance is a bit lower than the performance of WarheadsSEs 2.6.31.6 kernel. With some different configuration it would be similar. You could also try the nonpci kernels 1.3 - 1.5. Please keep in mind that flashing the kernel might be some dangerous. I recommend to use a SATA drive to test kernels without flashing.
http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~ingmar_k/Pogoplug_V3/kernels/
Debian @ Pogoplug Pro (actively used)
Debian @ Pogoplug E02
shv

Postby celemine1gig » Thu May 23, 2013 6:25 pm

There could be something interesting coming up, in the context of OXNAS based devices.

I just found a review of Shuttle's KD20 NAS. This is a recent NAS System, that is based on the same OXNAS 820 CPU that the Pogoplug V3 devices use.
Maybe the sources that Shuttle will have to provide, can contribute some interesting new patches or something like that. ;)
Unfortunately I couldn't find any files from Shuttle, while doing a real quick search this morning. Anyway, they will have to provide something, or they could have a big problem.

Update:
Just sent a short mail to Shuttle support concerning the lack of published sources. I'm very interested in seeing how they will react. I have a hunch that they thought they could get away without publishing the files.

Update2:
It seems that Shuttle really thinks they don't need to publish any source code. At least they totally ignored my question concerning it. Quite questionable if you ask me. :shock:
celemine1gig

Previous

Return to Community Supported