How do I make Pogoplug Pro boot from a different partition.

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

How do I make Pogoplug Pro boot from a different partition.

Postby azuretech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 am

Okay, so I've seen people saying you need to change the boot params to allow the oxnas pro to boot from a different partition, but nobody says how to go about doing it.

for example, say I want a separate BOOT and ROOT partition.... I know how to do this on the pink pogoplug, but not on the oxnas pogoplug pro.

How do I tell it that rootfs is /dev/sda2 instead of /dev/sda1?

Also, lets suppose I want to have the plug boot from USB, but still have a drive plugged into SATA...

So I essentially want it to boot from /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sda1 (since the SATA will always get sda)

then lets go one step further and combine these two... lets suppose, I want to boot from sdb with the boot partition on /dev/sdb1 and the root partition on /dev/sdb2 and my SATA drive on /dev/sda1

Can anyone point me in the right direction here.... I'm guessing its just sending the right commands to blparam

But what are those commands....
azuretech

Re: How do I make Pogoplug Pro boot from a different partiti

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:32 pm

The OXNAS currently doesn't make use of a boot partition.

You need to use blparam, carefully, to change the appropriate values.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby azuretech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Okay, I guess that's my point, I just see that I need to modify soething with blparam... But nobody says what. Not like there's a man page for blparam out there, and if i do it wrong i hose things. Okay... Sooooo if I want it to see my root file system on the USB at /dev/sdb1 and have my sata drive on /dev/sda1 which is where it will default to being an sata device. Ie, don't boot off the sata, boot off the USB.

how do I go about changing the blparam without hosing things. What specific command do I want to send.
azuretech

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Read the output, and don't be dense.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby azuretech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:42 pm

You know.... I'm just f*cking asking for help here... no need to be a total *****..... I just don't want to screw sh!t up.

I'm reading the forums and seeing people saying that they have to leave the SATA drive unplugged during boot, then plug it in later.... which really makes no sense to me.... I THINK that one should be able to tell blparam to boot off sdb1 instead of sda1, but when I see things like leaving the SATA drive unplugged during boot, I'm wondering if perhaps there's some reason people aren't doing that.... SO I ASK QUESTIONS. I'm sorry, I didn't know that you apparantly came out of your momma's womb with the knowledge you have, and never asked a question of anyone.

I appreciate what you do here, but geez, when a person takes the time to read the forums, and googles for the answers, and does everything he can to find the answer on his own, but can't find the answer.... There's no ignorance in asking for help from those more knowledgeable.... and there's no need for the person who seems to know the answer and could just clearly provide it being a tool about it.
azuretech

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Actually, I can be just what I feel like.

here is our forum search

and here is google
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby azuretech » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Never said you couldn't be a total d!ckhead if you wanted to be...merely pointed out that your attitude was completely UNNECESSARY.

And for the record, I did search the forums, and google, and didn't find the answer clearly, so I figured I'd ask here to double check....my mistake for thinking someone in a help forum might actually be helpful.
azuretech

Postby LeZerb » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Just run blparams and you will get a list of parameters set for uboot.

Now look for bootargs which should look something like

bootargs=root=/dev/sda1 ubi.mtd=2,512 rootfstype=ext3 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x30,0xe0,0x00,0x00,0x01 mem=128M poweroutage=yes rootwait

just change the root device e.g.

blparam bootargs="root=/dev/sdy10 ubi.mtd=2,512 rootfstype=ext3 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x30,0xe0,0x00,0x00,0x01 mem=128M poweroutage=yes rootwait"

At this point recheck the bootargs by running blparams without params.

If you mess the root parameter up will not be able to boot any longer - so keep a serial adapter close by. That way you can still edit the bootargs from uboot.

The question I still have regarding this is if the Pogoplug Kernel supports UUID's as root (root=UUID=[uuid]).

You could also have taken much of this info from http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2764.
LeZerb

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

The currently distributed kernel does not directly support UUID. I think I have the ext4 driver built in on the next revision. GPT support is there however. At which point, it is not about the UUID (since that would require an initrd for by-label etc) but the PARTUUID.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby bodhi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

@WarheadsSE / LeZerb,

Would this work to make sure the rootfs is always the correct one (with label "rootfs"), whether it's USB or SATA? can this solve the problem of booting with both drives plugged in?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'blparam rootlabel="LABEL=rootfs"
blparam bootargs="root=$rootlabel ubi.mtd=2,512 rootfstype=ext3 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x30,0xe0,0x00,0x00,0x01 mem=128M poweroutage=yes rootwait"')

Thanks,
-bodhi
bodhi

Next

Return to Community Supported