Change boot device

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: Change boot device

Postby ejblom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'W')hen you say switch you mean we need to have rootfs in both drives ?

No, the complete arch install is (in my case) on the USB flash disc. The busybox tool allows the pogoplug to switch from the external USB (that hasn't an OS) to the USB disc that has the OS.
ejblom

Postby dinjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:34 am

Ok so u mean if USB Disc is booted first it throws back to USB flash right ?
dinjo

Postby ejblom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'O')k so u mean if USB Disc is booted first it throws back to USB flash right ?

Yes. Just try it, if it fails (due to some typing error or so) just remove the USB external and re-reboot.
ejblom

Postby dinjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 am

I'll try tonight , do you know what was blocking me when i was using the USB External only ? fdisk showed proper partitions
dinjo

Postby ejblom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'I')'ll try tonight , do you know what was blocking me when i was using the USB External only ? fdisk showed proper partitions

Mmmm don't understand what you mean? My external USB only has one partition for the data.
ejblom

Postby chat1410 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'W')hen you say switch you mean we need to have rootfs in both drives ?

No, you only have a full rootfs on one drive. With ejblom's genius method, all your other drives contain "partial" rootfs files. Basically, if the kernel tries to boot one of your other drives, they reply "Nope, I'm not the rootfs. This other one is, it's located here, boot that one." (in the language the kernel understands).

[edit] Whoops, I completed didn't see there was a page 4 this morning. :oops: Sorry to repeat an answer when the thread had already moved on (but thanks for the kudos!).
Last edited by chat1410 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
chat1410

Postby ejblom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('chat1410', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'W')hen you say switch you mean we need to have rootfs in both drives ?

No, you only have a full rootfs on one drive. With ejblom's genius method, all your other drives contain "partial" rootfs files. Basically, if the kernel tries to boot one of your other drives, they reply "Nope, I'm not the rootfs. This other one is, it's located here, boot that one." (in the language the kernel understands.

Beautifully phrased :), but i must admit, I wasn't the one who came up with the idea. I just posted the question on the right forum apparently.

This makes the V3 so much more useful, I can now put it somewhere off-site and it doesn't matter if power-interruptions make it reboot!
ejblom

Postby dinjo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Does it matter which version of busybox we use since my pogo has 1.20
dinjo

Postby ejblom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('dinjo', 'D')oes it matter which version of busybox we use since my pogo has 1.20

First download the busybox file from mediafire, put it on your pogoplug and make it executable with:

chmod +x busybox

then test it

./busybox

it should give some output as shown in my post. If that's the case, you're good to go.
ejblom

Postby dinjo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

Hmm all busybox have same options.
dinjo

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported