Adding a 2.5" HDD inside the Pogoplug case - too much heat?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Adding a 2.5" HDD inside the Pogoplug case - too much heat?

Postby jrinco11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been running my pogoplug off a sata->esata 2.5" enclosure for a few months, but now in interest of having less "clutter", I'd like to move the 2.5" sata drive inside the pogoplug itself instead of in an external enclosure and using esata. While it's a 5400 drive, and it seems that it would (barely) fit underneath the main board in the pogoplug, any thoughts as to whether it would generate too much heat? Has anyone else done this and can report on the heat situation? (I realize I could swap it out for a SSD which would produce less (minimal) heat and even be thinner (depending on which I'd get), but I'd rather not invest the $ for SSD when 2.5" HDDs are incredible cheap (especially when I already have one I'm using!)

(if nothing else, I realize I could just "attach" the enclosure to the side of the pogoplug by rubber bands, screws, etc, but I'd rather not go down that route :) )

thanks for any advice!
jrinco11

Re: Adding a 2.5" HDD inside the Pogoplug case - too much he

Postby Philoo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:57 pm

some thoughts:
- coolerguys sells small size fans (1inx1in) that can operate on usb (or some a little bigger that can run on 12V from the converter)
- my observation is that the AD/DC converster is the biggest source of heat in the pogoplug, since I imagine you have an external power supply for your sata drive, tap into the 12V line to feed the main board and get rid of the built in converter
- I went with a 3.5 sata drive, a bigger box and an external psu for my project
- when playing with electricty if you happen to have a doubt about something don't do it.
Philoo

Postby jrinco11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Philoo', 's')ome thoughts:
- coolerguys sells small size fans (1inx1in) that can operate on usb (or some a little bigger that can run on 12V from the converter)
- my observation is that the AD/DC converster is the biggest source of heat in the pogoplug, since I imagine you have an external power supply for your sata drive, tap into the 12V line to feed the main board and get rid of the built in converter
- I went with a 3.5 sata drive, a bigger box and an external psu for my project
- when playing with electricty if you happen to have a doubt about something don't do it.

I'm actually using a [sata power] -> [usb] cable, so I'm powering the sata drive by plugging it into one of the open USB ports (bad idea?)
jrinco11

Postby Philoo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I')'m actually using a [sata power] -> [usb] cable, so I'm powering the sata drive by plugging it into one of the open USB ports (bad idea?)

Not at all, to my knowledge 2.5 SATA drive use only 5v and do not draw too much current.

I ended up using and external psu b/c my 7200 rpm requires 0.6A in normal operation but more than 2.5A during spin up, none of my docking station could accomodate that so I had to move to plan B
Philoo

Postby karog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jrinco11', 'I')'m actually using a [sata power] -> [usb] cable, so I'm powering the sata drive by plugging it into one of the open USB ports (bad idea?)

Not a bad idea. I have a B01 and a P21 both running off SATA and USB powered. I took a 3x5 index card metal box, cut out one end, and drilled holes in the side enough to mount 3 laptop drives inside. I run a regular SATA cable from inside the pogo directly to the hard drive after cutting a small slot in the pogo case. And I use USB to SATA power from the pogo USB port directly to the disk. I have 2 running this way now and room to add one more. Might be overkill for only one pogo. Powering from USB is great.

One of my laptop disks is a Western Digital Scorpio Black (WDC WD5000BPKT-00PK4T0) 7200 RPM and it works just fine.
karog

Postby rchlnx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm

What about this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/SATA-Serial-S-AT ... 1158898956

up to 32GB and nicely "cloneable"...

Yes, the speed won't compare, but who needs that speed for this device anyway?
:ugeek:
rchlnx

Return to Community Supported