Sorting out oxnas upgrade issues -- Guidance please

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Sorting out oxnas upgrade issues -- Guidance please

Postby wxtofly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm

I've been having nothing but frustration as Arch has evolved but Arch for oxnas has
remained with the WarheadSE kernel 2.6.31.6_SMP_820.

Aside from the move of modules from /lib to usr/lib which was only a minor headache,
the changes surrounding bootup have led to completely inconsistent documentation as some has the old ways and others have the new ways and none tell what the issues might be for the hybrid oxnas system.

If there is no stable kernel that supports systemd, why is systemd in the ArchLinuxARM-oxnas-latest.tar.gz ?

Is there some mechanism to track exactly what is happening at boot / init, to see which parts are being invoked?

Does anyone understand the nuances and differences well enough to make guidelines for the hybridized rootfs?

Any such guidance would be greatly appreciated.

TJ wxtofly
wxtofly

Re: Sorting out oxnas upgrade issues -- Guidance please

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 am

Because systemd contains udev. You like having devices work, and kernel modules load, right?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby wxtofly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 am

@WarheadSE

Yes of course, but what is the deal with systemd, new kernels and oxnas 8020?

I finally got my kirkwood device working with peripherals when I upgraded to a 3.2 kernel. Since I can't do that with oxnas 8020, I'm still struggling to try to find the magic spells that will actually turn on and run my Raylink 3070 wireless device on a WPA secure network.

Unfortunately, udev is covered by Clark's third law for me as it seems is wireless connectivity.

TJ
wxtofly

Postby chat1410 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Per this response:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'I')t's a matter of I have done work, but I am limited in what I actually know about the underlying hardware, even with the NDA. PLX is not interested in updating the kernel, and actually have sold the unit that produced the hardware family and wrote the kernel!

My efforts along with others have resulted in kernels that are supportive of systemd, however, they are NOT stable kernels, and have as-yet-untraced faults that cannot be deemed "acceptable". Right now, efforts are underway to get uboot partition & usb support all the way to 2013.01-rc's. We've yet to get USB working fully, and we've got a few issues with the sata read (yay! nasty hack by PLX). The reason this is important is it will remove the need to have the kernel in NAND, which is one of the many things I despise about the way the system support stands as it is now.

The problem is PLX not being as open regarding the processor as necessary to write a systemd compatible component. As a result WarheadsSE and gang are having to create a roundabout method of getting systemd stable. Please remember this is all being done on the devs free time because ALARM is community donation supported. If you want OXNAS working next week, and you don't know the required assembly/architecture, please donate enough money for WarheadsSE and gang to make this their full-time job.

The dev team is not incompetent or lazy, please stop treating them as such. They understand our frustrations but this stuff can't happen overnight (they've been working on trying to implement systemd for almost a year).
chat1410

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 pm

That's fairly close chat1410.

The major hiccup is the version of the kernel as it stands does not support the necessary CGROUPS and journal needs. Moving to a much newer kernel provide that, but getting PLX's horrible "the hardware is fine, fix it in software" hacks working in newer code is infuriatingly painful.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby wxtofly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Thank you both for the responses and the hard work you do. I am thinking that the oxnas platform for me will just remain one that I use wired. As you have developed it so far, I can do one of my projects with it fine and I will plan to use other platforms for my other projects.

If this board is an orphan of the manufacturer, then it probably isn't worth much more effort.

My biggest frustration comes not from the board and software, but from difficulties knowing which bits and pieces of advice on the forums should work and not knowing why if they don't.

Again, thanks for all your hard work and my apologies if I seemed to be whining too much.
TJ
wxtofly

Postby sethjvm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('wxtofly', 'I')f this board is an orphan of the manufacturer, then it probably isn't worth much more effort.

I agree. I just ordered a Pink Pogoplug from adorama hoping it turns out to be an E02 because the current kernel limitation of the Pro.
Pogo Plug Pro with ALARM SATA rootfs
success: wireless, samba, sabnzbd, sickbeard, transmission, lamp with Gallery3 and newznab+, rsync server, tor
still trying: avahi, minidlna
up next: asterisk, openvpn, proxy server of some sort
gave up: nfs and lvm
sethjvm

Postby godfather007 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 am

Hi,

is there a quick "step-up" how to get the pogo-plug (oxnas 820) running with kernel 3.1 (ie WarHeadsSE repo)?

I've bought 2 of the pinky ones (for a USB DAC, squeezelite for LogitechMediaServer) and only 1 is running the debian image for it.

I would love to see the less valued one (the oxnas) to fulfill this task.

I've found that WarheadsSE has created a git repo. Is it hard to make this run on it?

I think there are a lot of vortexbox-users that would love to have this oxnas working only for that.

Thanks,

Martijn
godfather007

Return to Community Supported