Chinese char support

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Chinese char support

Postby fflakes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Lemme preface with that I am linux newb, and I currently installed optware on my v3 rather than archlinux, but I can switch over if necessary. I am posting here since there isn't a place for dedicated optware support that I can see.

I have samba2 up and running on my pogoplug v3. Current issue I am trying to work around is reading Chinese file names since I can't open up the folders or files off samba. I looked around and seems like that one can change the unicode on samba3.

1. Is there possibility for fixing samba2 for Chinese char? I saw something about codepages but am confused.
2. Does pogoplug v3 run samba3 off of optware or archlinux? Any issues with Debian or whatever?

Thanks for any insight.
fflakes

Re: Chinese char support

Postby silentcreek » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm

First off, I'm anything but an expert. And I have no clue about optware. But, I do have a Pogoplug V3 with arch and samba installed. My arch installation runs samba 3.6 and I have no issue with Asian characters at all. I say Asian characters, because I don't have Chinese filenames but Japanese and Korean. But I guess it doesn't make any difference whether you try to use Chinese or Japanese filenames. The only issue I have is this: My Japanese and Korean filenames don't make any trouble if I access the files over samba. I can copy them to my Windows machine or to my Ubuntu laptop with no trouble at all. Only when I use Putty to connect via ssh to my Pogoplug I dont see the Asian characters correctly. But I assume that's just an issue with wrong settings in Putty or so. I never put any effort in changing this since I don't need to handle Asian characters over ssh. I just copy them from or to my client computers over samba - and as I said, that works fine. I didn't even need to install any locale. It worked with en-US locale out of the box and it currently runs with my Arch installation set to German.

So, again - sorry, I have no info about optware. But at least I can tell, Asian characters over samba3 don't cause trouble on Archlinux.

Timo
silentcreek

Postby silentcreek » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Ok, I was curious and tested one more thing: When I ssh into my Pogoplug from my Ubuntu laptop, I can see the Asian characters correctly, just like when I access the files over samba. So, my assumption was right that its an issue with Putty or its configuration that I can't see the characters there correctly. I don't think I will try to change this behaviour in Putty, since, as I said, I don't need Asian character support there. But as I said, alarm and samba have no problem with Asian characters in filenames.

Timo
silentcreek

Postby fflakes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Alright thanks. It's probably just samba2 issue.
fflakes

Postby dhead666 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Regarding putty, on the configuration windows of putty try:
Window -> Translation -> Remote Character Set: UTF.
And of course check your locale settings as described in the Beginners' Guide @ https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be ... ide#Locale
Pogoplug Series 4 - Network Storage and Music Server: NFS/TVHeadend
Cubox-i2 - Applications Server: Lighttpd/CherryMusic/HTPCManager/Transmission/Couchpotato/SickBeard/OpenVPN
Samsung Chromebook: Chroach in ChromeOS
dhead666

Return to Community Supported