Sata power from in side the PogoPlug Pro.

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Sata power from in side the PogoPlug Pro.

Postby Raymondday » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am

I had my PogoPlug off for a wile and thought I take it apart to see if there was any way to hook up Sata power. I found out the Pogolug power supply is doing 12 volts to the board in it. On the back side of the board it has a little spot were it says 5 volts. I went on the other side of that to get the 5 volts on the side of a little cercit. The ground I got from a USB port. I used a 4 pin to SATA plug to cut off the 4 pin side and used them 4 wires for the SATA power.

It's been working like this for 2 days now. Before I had another power supply for the hard drive. Now it's just the one power cord for the PogoPlug Pro.

So just to let all know this works. I could not find any one else that has done this looking on Google.

-Raymond Day
Raymondday

Re: Sata power from in side the PogoPlug Pro.

Postby karog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:30 pm

It is easier to just take a USB cable ( 4 wires, 2 for data, 1 5v and 1 ground) and cut off one end and attach its 5v power and ground to the SATA power connector - only need 2 of its wires. Then you have power just from USB to HD.

I have two like this and it works great though HD's are 2.5" laptop drives. And it is trivial to just pull the USB out to power down the HD if I want to boot off a USB stick.
karog

Re: Sata power from in side the PogoPlug Pro.

Postby Raymondday » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:52 pm

But I am using this on a 3TB WD green hard drive. It needs the 12 volts. I know lap top type small drives just use 5 volts.

I know the PogoPlug has 5 volts but did not know 12 volts. But it's power supply has it. It must convert the 12 down to 5 and 3 volts on the small motherboard.

-Raymond Day
Raymondday

Return to Community Supported