Restoring Pogoplug P21 using serial connection

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Restoring Pogoplug P21 using serial connection

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi all,
In a previous hacked pogoplug I tried I installed the Arch Linux. To set my software to a peculiar service I followed a guide. Unfortunately iI didn't read carefully enough and was not aware of the fact that the installer script was for Pogo v3.
I followed the instruction for exectuing the script and everything went fine.
# killall hbwd
# cd /tmp
# wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/ins ... ot_mtd0.sh
#install_uboot_mtd0.s 100%
# chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh
I rebooted my Pogo but then it wouldn't get back up. The pogo is on, but the logo light is off. When I insert the usb, it lighted for one second and after go off. Sadly, I can't see my Pono on my network and consequently reach the pogo by ssh.
I have read that I can restore the pogo by serial connection. A boult the cable and connected with the RS232-usb cable.
Now, what I have to do?
Thanks in advance
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Re: Restoring Pogoplug P21 using serial connection

Postby xenoxaos » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm

did the install_uboot_mtd0.sh complain about stuff....like not the right device? Because that uboot is for a kirkwood cpu and the P21 has an oxnas...
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby karog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:35 pm

The P21 is a V3. So that should not be a problem.

However, a number of pogos were sold in P21 boxes but were actually E02 (which is V2) instead. Look at the label on the bottom of the device to see which device it really is, P21 or E02. You cannot rely on what you ordered or what the box says.

And you must know the correct device before you proceed.

As xenoxaos correctly stated, the install_uboot_mtd0.sh that you linked to was for the pogo V2 and some other devices. If it did not complain about the wrong device when you ran that, it would suggest you in fact have a V2 eg pogo E02 and that part was ok. Instead you may have other problems.
Last edited by karog on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karog

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi xenoxaos,
I think so, but I really don't remember. By the way, the installation ended whithout problem, I also installed by means pacman comands apache2 and other service. When I reboot I realized that I was so stupid!!!
This morning I tryied to connect the pogo by serial cable, connecting the port 2 of the rs232 (Tx) to the Rx of pogo; port 3 (Rx) to Tx of pogo and 5 (Gnd) to the gnd of pogo. The first pin from left to right of pogo serial port I left unconnected. But I have not answare from pogo by mean of Putty.
What you think that I have to do?
Thanks in advance
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:57 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('karog', 'T')he P21 is a V3. So that should not be a problem.

However, a number of pogos were sold in P21 boxes but were actually E02 (which is V2) instead. Look at the label on the bottom of the device to see which device it really is, P21 or E02. You cannot rely on what you ordered or what the box says.

And you must know the correct device before you proceed.

As xenoxaos correctly stated, the install_uboot_mtd0.sh that you linked to was for the pogo V2 and some other devices. If it did not complain about the wrong device when you ran that, it would suggest you in fact have a V2 eg pogo E02 and that part was ok. Instead you may have other problems.

Dear Karog
on the botton of the devise I can read clearly model: POGO-P21 and I'm sending you a picture of the the motherboard. In one of the chips it is possible read: Pogo Pro r2 S4 12E8. I really don't know if the cause of the dead of the pogo was my stupidity in installing something wrong, but I think that it is quite sure.
Thank you for helping me
Ionny

ps. I'm linux utilizer from two week
Attachments
PogoMB.JPG
PogoMB.JPG (153.2 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
JohnJohn68

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

moreover the distro that I used was http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM ... est.tar.gz
JohnJohn68

Postby karog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

That red connector at the bottom of your picture is a SATA port which only the V3 models have. The rootfs (tar file) you link to in your most recent message is the correct one. What is confusing is that in your initial message you reference the wget to uboot that is not correct. It is not clear what install instructions you followed. You should have used: Pogoplug Pro/Video/v3
karog

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Unfortunatly not! to setup a service for monitoring my photovoltaic panels, I followed the instruction of a forum of pogo' owners. They had the pink one. I already have all running, but to follow every step they did, I copy and past everything, also the step that I have absolutely not follow (I'm idiot).
so, now I think that there is a bad script somewhere in my pogo ... is it dead???
JohnJohn68

Postby karog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Have you tried booting with no attached USB drive whatsoever? I am not sure with its current state but it might boot into the pogoplug original software though you might not know what the ip address is if it does. You might have to look on your dchp server (router?) to see what new pops up if anything.

If you gain access that way, you can follow the instructions I linked to to set it up properly. Worth a try anyway.
karog

Postby JohnJohn68 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:41 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('karog', 'H')ave you tried booting with no attached USB drive whatsoever? I am not sure with its current state but it might boot into the pogoplug original software though you might not know what the ip address is if it does. You might have to look on your dchp server (router?) to see what new pops up if anything.

If you gain access that way, you can follow the instructions I linked to to set it up properly. Worth a try anyway.

I tried several time. the logo led is off and I can't see any new ip on my network. Anway, tomorrow I will pay attention in repeating the trial you just suggest me, hoping to see some device on my server.
Thanks
Ionny
JohnJohn68

Next

Return to Community Supported