A "last best rootfs"

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: A "last best rootfs"

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm

I am fairly certain there is an oxnas-revert.sh script mentioned many times in this forum.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:46 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jelabarre59', '&')quot;Unusable" means that, like any system I had set aside for an extended time, I ran an update to bring the code up to date. I didn't research the update beforehand because I had never heard of an architecture becoming *so* unsupported that an update could render a new install unbootable. So now I just want to bring the PPPro back to a state where it can at least perform some minimal functionality, something that would require minimal security updates so I wouldn't break it again.

Then the answer is pretty easy. Get the new filesystem tarball from the beginning of this thread. Extract it onto an ext3 partion ( with dos compatible flag), and it should boot up and work just like it did before your update.

Tom

You should also consider dialing down the sarcasm while asking for help.
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby bobloadmire » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I followed the wiki install procedures, then unzipped this new tarball to my usb drive, but it still won't boot. the light is solid green, but the MAC is not showing up in my router.
bobloadmire

Postby Socaltom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 pm

Make sure that the partition table is set as dos compatible. If its not it won't boot
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

Postby AlSam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 pm

I too am trying to reinstall my PPPro but am not having any luck using oxnas-rootfs-2013-06.tar.gz. The PPPro's light will flash green for about 30 seconds and then turn off. I made sure to set the DOS-compatible flag using fdisk, to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
AlSam

Postby permitivity » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:24 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('AlSam', 'I') too am trying to reinstall my PPPro but am not having any luck using oxnas-rootfs-2013-06.tar.gz. The PPPro's light will flash green for about 30 seconds and then turn off. I made sure to set the DOS-compatible flag using fdisk, to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas where to start looking to troubleshoot the problem? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

I recently got a pro to play with. The rootfs worked for me. I used this command to create the ext3 flash drive:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'm')kfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdb1
permitivity

Postby permitivity » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:32 pm

The latest rootfs posted by moonman worked for me. Thanks.

I'm used to the 3.10 version of ALArm. There are some differences in how things work that I haven't been able to figure out:

1) I installed motion, and it seem to have installed ok, but I can't find it. It's not in /usr/bin/motion or /usr/sbin/motion. The config file usually exists in "/etc/motion/motion.conf". Under the latest Oxnas alarm, motion installed ok, but I couldn't find where the config file is.

2) Without systemctl, what is the old way of enabling programs to run on boot? I'd like to enable Motion, Samba, and udevil.
permitivity

Postby AlSam » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:22 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') recently got a pro to play with. The rootfs worked for me. I used this command to create the ext3 flash drive:

mkfs.ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdb1

This made no difference. Thanks anyways for the help. Anyone have any idea where to start troubleshooting the problem?
AlSam

Postby permitivity » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Bump for help:

1) This version doesn't have systemctl. How do you start programs on boot?

2) If I installed Motion on the latest Arch, it sits in the config file sits in "/etc/motion/motion.conf", and the executable is simply "motion". That doesn't seem to be the case with this version of Arch. Typing in "motion" at the shell tells me there's so such program.
permitivity

Postby Socaltom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('permitivity', 'B')ump for help:

1) This version doesn't have systemctl. How do you start programs on boot?

2) If I installed Motion on the latest Arch, it sits in the config file sits in "/etc/motion/motion.conf", and the executable is simply "motion". That doesn't seem to be the case with this version of Arch. Typing in "motion" at the shell tells me there's so such program.

1) to start programs on boot edit /etc/rc.conf and add the name of the program to the daemons list. However the daemon script file must exist in /etc/rc.d/. Most of the packages have been stripped of these files, so you have to ask around. I still have a bunch I saved. Search for "init scripts"

2) I just installed motion myself on a fresh install of this rootfs. Typing "motion" still starts the program, and it enters daemon mode. The startup script should be in /usr/bin. If its not then try reinstalling
Tom
used to be owned by me
Socaltom

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported