A "last best rootfs"

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: A "last best rootfs"

Postby sxk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:45 am

It works. I just installed it and managed to bring dbus/avahi and cups.

A quick segway - If anyone is using it as a print server - please do mkdir /run/dbus; dbus-daemon --system; nohup avahi-daemon > /dev/null & ; then cupsd. However you may need to provide the ppd file to help the cups along.

Just a dumb question. With this new rootfs - will it be safe to keep doing pacman -Syu in the future or will I have to hold a snapshot copy of the current archlinuxarm mirror from somewhere?

Thanks.
sxk

Postby moonman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:53 am

It should be safe in a sense that sshd initscript won't get deleted anymore because it isn't part of the openssh package anymore, and the same goes for all the other packages for which you've created/restored the initscript.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby cownamedpuppy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks a lot for this rootfs.
Worked great on my new P22 and I am sure there would be a lot more people who could benefit from this.
I was also able to update a lot of packages with pacman so things look good to me.

Just curious - what are folks using this oxnas drive for?
I tried plexmediaserver; it installed but failed miserable to run and I am yet to figure what else I could use this as.
cownamedpuppy

Postby moonman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:59 pm

How did it fail, what does it say?

People use it for samba shares, minidlna, transmission torrenting and so on
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby Socaltom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 am

I have one running motion, monitoring an IP camera, and sharing some samba shares. It can work with plex as long as you don't plan on transcoding. I ran pyTivo with one for over a year streaming video to my Tivos.
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby jelabarre59 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 am

So if you have an already fubarred Pogoplug Pro install, and no backup of the last working system, what do you do to get the system back to a state to load that last usable kernel? I hadn't actually put the system into regular usage, and since I was experimenting I had thought I could just do a reinstall once I learned how to do setups. But now it's unusable.

At this point, since it would have limited usefulness, I've thought of just making it a "jumpbox" for my house, so I can use it to SSH in to my home network and run wake-on-lan to boot machines as I need.
jelabarre59

Postby Socaltom » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:53 pm

What does "unusable" mean?
Tom
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby jelabarre59 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 pm

"Unusable" means that, like any system I had set aside for an extended time, I ran an update to bring the code up to date. I didn't research the update beforehand because I had never heard of an architecture becoming *so* unsupported that an update could render a new install unbootable. So now I just want to bring the PPPro back to a state where it can at least perform some minimal functionality, something that would require minimal security updates so I wouldn't break it again.
jelabarre59

Postby moonman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:26 am

Arch is a rolling release so you need to keep it up to date not to run into trouble. The rootfs that will let you get past all the problems is posted in this thread on the first page in the last post. That is why I pointed you here. Didn't you read the thread?
moonman
Developer

Postby jelabarre59 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:59 pm

What about all the rest of the utilities? My thought was not to patch the current system, but to back up everything back to the last usable state (installed applications, etc). On top of that I would also just uninstall the dlna and other file hosting services. It seemed the best solution might be to back out all modifications and start from a factory configuration. For a lot of the other models there is a page for restoring to factory configuration, but no such thing exists for the PPPro.
jelabarre59

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported