Reinstalling archlinux on an old Pogoplug v3 (oxnas)

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Reinstalling archlinux on an old Pogoplug v3 (oxnas)

Postby jrinco11 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it's still possible to reinstall archlinux on an old pogo plug of mine? I originally followed the guide to install on a usb drive, but then moved it to a SATA HDD, and now I'd like to go back to using the pogo again but I have since reformatted the HDD and don't have the original flash drive anymore.

I understand this pogo has reached EOL (pogo-b01), but would it be possible to reinstall back before it became too old for updates? I would have simply tried starting from step 1 in the installation instructions, but it says to not re-run the installation script if it's already been done once, so I'm not sure where I would start?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and upgrading to a newer pogo isn't an option as I'm simply wanting to re-use this one, or I'll simply go without)
jrinco11

Re: Reinstalling archlinux on an old Pogoplug v3 (oxnas)

Postby pepedog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:40 pm

pepedog
Developer

Postby jrinco11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:13 am

thanks pepedog - I thought I could simply start with a fresh ext formatted usb drive and simply copy over the extracted contents of the tar, but my pogoplug doesn't seem to like that (stuck at flashing green led). When I've made backups before and restored from them, I simply copied everything off and copied it back with no issue - is there something different I need to do this time?

(thanks for any patience!)
jrinco11

Postby moonman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 pm

You need to extract it with a utility that will preserve permissions and symlinks. The best way to do it is to put the tarball on the partition which you want to be your rootfs, if you are not root then "sudo su" and extract it with "tar xvzf <filename>"
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to Community Supported