A new kernel for oxnas

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: A new kernel for oxnas

Postby tilator » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'L')ikely culprit is a lack of initialization of the GPIOs to a predefined state on the 3.13 kernel.

True. Still needs a bit of work, because esata does not come up. Everything else I need seems to be OK.

Seems to be something else wrong with esata, since it does not come up even without the dump.
tilator

Postby azuretech » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Just came across this thread.... So I've got one of these "EOL" pogoplugs with a eSATA hard drive..... Does this mean we'll be seeing this re-supported in ALARM? Is there a current step by step tutorial? I hate having this thing just collecting dust. Can one boot into the newer kernel from a USB drive, or is it SATA only at this point..... Sorry if this is all "covered in the thread" but there's 20 pages here and while I'm competent to install linux, I get lost on some of the more technical dev stuff here in the thread.... so was hoping someone could perhaps dumb it down just a tiny bit :)
azuretech

Postby celemine1gig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 pm

If it was officially supported again, you could probably read about it here:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6 ... 3oxnas-eol

So, in conclusion I highly doubt that there is official support yet. It takes a lot of time to make it all work like it should. And that is probably (and most likely) what is missing here for WarheadsSE, kref, and all the many others working on it.

Be patient and it will be able to run arch again in the future. The only question is "When?". ;)
celemine1gig

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:19 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('azuretech', 'C')an one boot into the newer kernel from a USB drive, or is it SATA only at this point

I haven't heard anyone say they're booting a new kernel from USB. You'll be a lot happier running it on SATA anyway, once you do the necessary case-mod for a SATA/eSATA cable. If that's what you're aiming for (uboot, kernel, dtb and rootfs all on SATA), then you will succeed. I guess we're still hoping someone will do the necessary work on uboot so that it can reside in NAND, look for a kernel & dtb on SATA, USB, NAND, maybe TFTP, and then boot whichever one it finds in that sequence.
Geoff

Postby celemine1gig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46 pm

Actually with the new U-Boot, booting from USB shouldn't be any problem. You "just" have to configure the environment accordingly.
celemine1gig

Postby tilator » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm

I got a bit further again. I can see the device in esata bus, but parameters are not correct yet.

Is it possible to find out correct DTS file settings by booting first to the properly working old kernel. Can I find correct settings with hexdump or some other tool while the device is up and running?

I'm after the second sata settings. I know baseaddress for sata0 is 0x45900000 and sata1 0x45910000, but I can't find the other settings anywhere.

Anybody better than me to help, please?
tilator

Postby bodhi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:00 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('navym', '
')build u-boot for nand

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- ox820_nand_config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j4 all u-boot.img
to generate encoded stage1 from spl/u-boot-spl.bin, you need a small script
basically, it turn each 1 bit to 0x55, 0 bit to 0xAA to alleviate bit flips
https://github.com/wagle/addnas_source/ ... /encode.py
then flash encoded stage1 to 0x0, u-boot.img to 0x40000

Did anyone use this u-boot without the encoded stage 1 SPL? would u-boot.img work just by flashing it to mtd0?
bodhi

Postby bodhi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:32 am

Even though there is the option of building U-Boot only without SPL support (make ox820_config), and it seems that it should work just flashsing to mtd0. I went ahead with the NAND spl stage1 and U-Boot on mtd0. It works really well. So convenient to be able to boot with USB and also using all available modern U-Boot features.

Thanks navym. Great works.
-bodhi
bodhi

Postby tilator » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:49 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('bodhi', 'E')ven though there is the option of building U-Boot only without SPL support (make ox820_config), and it seems that it should work just flashsing to mtd0. I went ahead with the NAND spl stage1 and U-Boot on mtd0. It works really well. So convenient to be able to boot with USB and also using all available modern U-Boot features.

Thanks navym. Great works.
-bodhi

U-boot 2013.10 works great with this Silverstone DC01 too and finds both sata and esata with a minor settings change. Default has only one sata supported but it can be changed.

Real pain in the a** is this kernel device tree support. I still don't know why kernel does not find both sata devices. Does anybody know how to build a suitable device tree for this device?
tilator

Postby jelabarre59 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:41 am

So in the midst of all this, I'm a bit confused. Is there an image I can write to a flash drive and try out on my Pogoplug Pro? I realize it's still being tested, I might as well try it out on my system. It had been set up to run ArchArm last year, but I managed to mess it up trying to run an update *after* oxnas compatibility was lost (hadn't known until after it stopped working). I have Debian (squeeze) on it at the moment, but it won't take new packages and won't run the package upgrades.

Ultimately all I want to do with it is use it as a "jumpbox" into my home system. Then I could leave everything in my house off, and just log into the PPPro to use etherwake to bring up systems remotely. So I mainly just need X11 forwarding to work, some sort of wake-on-lan tool, and probably something similar to mate-terminal (tabbed terminal application, but avoiding all the Gnome/Mate/KDE baggage if possible). I have a Pogoplug series 4 to do the NAS/DLNA/etc stuff otherwise.

I understand it's still in re-development, but since I don't have the PPPro in a workable state anyways, I might as well use it for testing new builds (it's like the SunBlade 100 I was offering to send to any UltraSparc kernel developer who needed it).
jelabarre59

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported