A new kernel for oxnas

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: A new kernel for oxnas

Postby jbrnd » Fri May 09, 2014 3:43 am

I don't think there's an image ready-made for flash drives. I didn't want to flash a new u-boot or kernel, so I just followed the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6193&start=80#p36336 to build a kernel that works with the old u-boot. I boot this kernel over tftp and use the ARMv5 rootfs (the one used for pogoplug v4).
jbrnd

Postby bodhi » Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Netconsole problem in kernel 3.12.13 oxnas.

Did anybody set up netconsole in Arch successfully? I'm seeing this problem running Debian and I thought it is probaly in Arch, too. Apparently, the carrier detect happened so fast that it was deemed untrustworthy by netpoll. The end result: eth0 is not brought up properly later. I've tracked it down to this code, and it does not seem to a bug, just the way it was designed:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/ne ... 3.12#L1137

dmesg log:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[ 12.476695] netpoll: netconsole: local IPv4 address 192.168.0.222
[ 12.482792] netpoll: netconsole: interface 'eth0'
[ 12.487470] netpoll: netconsole: remote port 6666
[ 12.492177] netpoll: netconsole: remote IPv4 address 192.168.0.220
[ 12.498327] netpoll: netconsole: remote ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
[ 12.505198] netpoll: netconsole: device eth0 not up yet, forcing it
[ 12.511472] eth0: device MAC address 00:25:31:xx:xx:xx
[ 12.518630] netpoll: netconsole: carrier detect appears untrustworthy, waiting 4 seconds
[ 14.510635] libphy: stmmac-0:00 - Link is Up - 1000/Full
[ 16.533734] console [netcon0] enabled
[ 16.537390] netconsole: network logging started
[....] Configuring network interfaces...SIOCSIFHWADDR: Device or resource busy - you may need to down the interface
Failed to bring up eth0.
done.
')

So is netpoll a little too strict in determining how trustworthy the carrier detect is?
TIA for any feedback,
-bodhi
bodhi

Postby azuretech » Thu May 22, 2014 7:41 pm

So... lets say one wants to TRY this, understood its "not ready for prime time"... If I wanted to flash a new u-boot and the new kernel, etc. I've got USB and eSATA drives available.... I can see there are bits and pieces in the thread, but its rather chaotic and disorganized to figure out... I don't want to miss a critical step, or do them in the wrong order, and create a brick if I can avoid it. Can anyone give a "step by step" of how to get there... ie step 1 download new u-boot here, flash by typing this.... step 2 download current kernel here , download arch system image here, then follow these steps to put things where they need to be on USB and/or eSATA drive... even if someone gave step 1 go to this message thread and follow instructions... then step 2 goto this other message thread and follow instructions... that would be helpful to avoid doing stuff in the wrong order. I mean, this isn't a mission critical nor expensive piece of equipment, but would be nice to get something working on it... even if its not stable and ready for a supported release yet. My EOL plug was my NAS device, and it'd be nice to get it back working even at less than 100%
azuretech

Postby schnee » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:25 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'M')y EOL plug was my NAS device, and it'd be nice to get it back working even at less than 100%

Yeah it would be good to get it up and running, but I am also unable to achieve a booting system based on the info i can find in this forum. Probably this is my fault...

It would be really nice if someone could post a step-by-step guide, with all the required files.

BTW few month ago the progress was promising, and there were some discussion about reintroducing official support. Does anybody have any info on this?
schnee

Postby solo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:26 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tilator', 'I') just took a dump of the memory area having all needed GPIO settings as they should be for the rtc to get up. I load it together with kernel and device tree. Seems to work.

I'm having the same problem on my iomega HMNHDCE. Did you use kernels own i2c-gpio.c instead of i2c-oxnas-bitbash.c? How exactly did you do the memory dump?

The GPIO config is done in i2c-oxnas-bitbash.c. I worked half-way through - transfering it to the board init - but didn't get it to work finally.

Regards,

solo
solo

Postby tilator » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('solo', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('tilator', 'I') just took a dump of the memory area having all needed GPIO settings as they should be for the rtc to get up. I load it together with kernel and device tree. Seems to work.

I'm having the same problem on my iomega HMNHDCE. Did you use kernels own i2c-gpio.c instead of i2c-oxnas-bitbash.c? How exactly did you do the memory dump?

The GPIO config is done in i2c-oxnas-bitbash.c. I worked half-way through - transfering it to the board init - but didn't get it to work finally.

First boot it with the old kernel. It uses i2c-oxnas-bitbash.c to make the init. Then take memory dump from where the init settings are.

Compile new kernel with kernels own i2c-gpio.c and use the dump to make proper settings directly in memory.
tilator

Postby Socaltom » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:00 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('navym', 'h')ttps://github.com/kref/linux-oxnas/wiki/Build-the-kernel
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 't')o generate old u-boot compatible uImage
ARCH=arm make ox820_defconfig
ARCH=arm make menuconfig
Boot options --->
[*] Use appended device tree blob to zImage (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*] Supplement the appended DTB with traditional ATAG informati
you may also want to disable PCI support if you device does not have one
ARCH=arm make -j8 zImage ox820.dtb
cat arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/dts/ox820.dtb > arch/arm/boot/zImage.fdt
/bin/sh scripts/mkuboot.sh -A arm -O linux -C none -T kernel -a 0x60008000 -e 0x60008000 -n 'Linux-3.11.1+' -d arch/arm/boot/zImage.fdt arch/arm/boot/uImage

build u-boot for nand

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- ox820_nand_config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j4 all u-boot.img
to generate encoded stage1 from spl/u-boot-spl.bin, you need a small script
basically, it turn each 1 bit to 0x55, 0 bit to 0xAA to alleviate bit flips
https://github.com/wagle/addnas_source/ ... /encode.py
then flash encoded stage1 to 0x0, u-boot.img to 0x40000

I downloaded the zip and extracted it.
Then ran ARCH=arm make ox820_defconfig
Then ran ARCH=arm make menuconfig
and selected the options as indicated above. Then I exited the menu and ran
ARCH=arm make -j8 zImage ox820.dtb
and I got the following output. What am I missing? ( FYI, I'm running this on a V2 pogoplug since the V3 won't even get this far.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@PogoServer linux-oxnas-master]# ARCH=arm make -j8 zImage ox820.dtb
make: arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found
CHK include/config/kernel.release
CHK include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
HOSTCC scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc: command not found
scripts/Makefile.build:308: recipe for target 'scripts/mod/empty.o' failed
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CC scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
/bin/sh: arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc: command not found
scripts/Makefile.build:204: recipe for target 'scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s' failed
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s] Error 127
scripts/Makefile.build:455: recipe for target 'scripts/mod' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
Makefile:521: recipe for target 'scripts' failed
make: *** [scripts] Error 2
')
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby celemine1gig » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:09 pm

What cross-compiler (if any) have you got installed on your system?

As you didn't specify it through the "CROSS_COMPILE=" commandline-option of make, the system just tried the arm default cross compiler arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc, which you obviously don't seem to have installed, or not included in your PATH variable. ;)
celemine1gig

Postby Socaltom » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:50 pm

would "arm5vtel-unknown-linux-gnueabi-" be the correct thing to put here?
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Postby celemine1gig » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:58 pm

If that is your installed cross compiler, then yes.
celemine1gig

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported