A new kernel for oxnas

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Re: A new kernel for oxnas

Postby jbrnd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:29 pm

For the machine ID problem, https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/ind ... machine_ID

has some relevant information.
jbrnd

Postby jbrnd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:49 am

Hmm... when I tried to quote Geoff's reply to me, the board told me the topic was too old. Weird...

Anyway, to quote Geoff manually: "You have to load and boot the kernel at 60500000"... and that worked! The kernel booted without problems. Thank you! Out of curiosity, why is 60500000 the right address?
jbrnd

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:06 am

I must admit that it's pure black magic to me. All I can say is that's what the stock uboot did, and it still works with the latest uboot.
Geoff

Postby tilator » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:16 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('jbrnd', 'H')mm... when I tried to quote Geoff's reply to me, the board told me the topic was too old. Weird...

Anyway, to quote Geoff manually: "You have to load and boot the kernel at 60500000"... and that worked! The kernel booted without problems. Thank you! Out of curiosity, why is 60500000 the right address?

You can quote by just first pressing "Post reply" button and making guote after that.

This Akitio device boots fine with the same address too, but kernel and dtb files can't be concatenated. They must be loaded as a separate files.

Stage1 can load the rest from an ext4 partition too, so you don't need any fat partition at all and even u-boot.img can be as a regular file in the ext4 partition. No need to flash anything while updating the system. Just make default config for ext4 before compiling u-boot. So, it's even possible to make a GPT partition table. Then leave a tiny part of the disk unpartitioned (for stage1 file) and partition and format rest of it as ext4. Stage1 is the only file to put to the unformatted part of the disk. U-boot and uImage along with device tree file should then all be put in /boot folder of the ext4 partition.

The only thing still not working with this little devil is the rtc support. I can't compile bit-bash driver for it. Is there anyone to tell what has changed so much, it will not compile the attached file for me? I can't find any reason for it. This compiles fine with kernel source 3.1.10 but not with 3.12 or 3.13.

Has writel and readl functions changed somehow, because compiler warns about some integer to pointer type confusion?

It does not take attachment, but the file is here:

http://tilator2.us1.myakitio.com/dav/pu ... -bitbash.c
tilator

Postby tilator » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 pm

I got it up.

So here is what you will need to use Kref's 3.12.13 kernel version with same Oxnas version I have here. I try to attach the ZIP file here.

OK. Too big file (290kb while 256kb allowed). I'll take u-boot binary out of it.

P.S. rtc support needs LED support to be turned on. It is off in attached defaultconfig.

P.P.S. Seems to work with 3.13.5 kernel source too. Still just needs LED support on.
Attachments
Silverstone.zip
Silverstone boot
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
tilator

Postby tilator » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 am

Hi everybody,

There seems still to be one odd problem. Sometimes RTC driver (Dallas 1307) does not load and it seems to be that the RTC chip has memory of it's own. If there has been some incompleted data flow to the rtc, next boot will fail for time functions.

So, I suppose there are some buffered bytes in the RTC chip to prevent driver loading properly.

If original 2.6.14 kernel is booted once, the newer kernel will boot OK again. Older kernel must have some kind of "resetting" or wiping out incompleted bytes from rtc memory. I can't figure out any other reason to this behavior.

But - the question is, how can I add rtc buffer flushing/resetting to the 3.13.x version of kernel? Is there anybody to know how this can be done?
tilator

Postby tilator » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 am

A bit more info:

It seems to be, this device boots OK with kernel 3.13.x and RTC works too, if it's first booted with the original 2.6.31.14 kernel.

This seems to have something to do with disabling secondary, tertiary etc. functions of the multifunction gpio pins.

Old kernel disables them and booting without powering off leaves them as they are. Then booting with 3.13.x kernel goes fine.

But if power is turned off and then booted right away with the new kernel, it does not work.

I just don't know how multifunction pin properties can be set with the new kernel. Anybody to help with this, please?
tilator

Postby celemine1gig » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:03 am

Perhaps ask kref. He is the one who would probably know. You coold use github's "issue" method in his oxnas kernel repository.
celemine1gig

Postby tilator » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Well, I got it up. It's not pretty but will do.

I just took a dump of the memory area having all needed GPIO settings as they should be for the rtc to get up. I load it together with kernel and device tree. Seems to work.
tilator

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Likely culprit is a lack of initialization of the GPIOs to a predefined state on the 3.13 kernel.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Community Supported