[Pogoplug Pro] Can't SSH

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

[Pogoplug Pro] Can't SSH

Postby aquaman » Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 am

Okay so the story is I was trying to stop the pogoplug service from starting on boot. I commented something in a startup script, and now I can't SSH. Smart, I know. The twist is that this was at least a year ago, so I don't remember much of what I was doing. I've also pretty much forgotten how to use computers. How should I bring my pogoplug back to a working state? Right now the only signs of life are a blinking green LED (only during startup) and an IP address.
Is there any sort of live USB thing I can use? All the guides I see require SSH. If not, does that mean breaking it open and trying a serial connection?
Note that this device never had arch on it. I think.
aquaman

Re: [Pogoplug Pro] Can't SSH

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Serial. Period.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby aquaman » Wed May 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Sounds fun. So will serial let me alter the files on the pogoplug, or is it a more roundabout solution? Any recommended learning resources?
Will http://www.amazon.ca/niceeshop-PL2303HX ... ds=ttl+usb or http://www.amazon.ca/eFuture-PL2303HX-C ... ds=ttl+usb work? I can't just hook up alligator clips to a usb connector, right? I think it goes without saying that I've never done anything quite like this.
Thanks for the reply.
aquaman

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed May 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Those should work, I am sure there might be, err, more reputable sources?

FTDI tends to freak out less, and is less likely to be a forgery. Obviously, also see the review where it apparently came from China, so look at a month's lead time.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby aquaman » Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Bleh, so confusing. I assume I can't just create the rootfs from http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6 ... 3oxnas-eol on a separate machine, plug it in, and expect it to work, right? I don't think I've fiddled with the bootloader.
Regarding the cable, I welcome other suggestions. Waiting for a month does suck, but I haven't seen any cheap alternatives. The ones on the FTDI site cost as much as a v4 pogoplug, which is starting to look like a pleasant alternative.
Thanks for the link grayman. I've seen it before, the part I'm unsure about is what comes immediately after. Do I get access to the terminal? Or is it more of an analytical tool?
aquaman

Postby grayman4hire » Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('aquaman', '
')Thanks for the link grayman. I've seen it before, the part I'm unsure about is what comes immediately after. Do I get access to the terminal? Or is it more of an analytical tool?

The answer is both. Isn't there a picture of a terminal screen at the end of the tutorial?
grayman4hire

Return to Community Supported