WiFi configuration fails

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

WiFi configuration fails

Postby newbie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm

I tried to install ArchlinuxARM on my Chromebook Acer R13 following the instructions on https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/mediatek/acer-chromebook-r13. I chose to install it onto a micro-SD-card using an adapter as recommendet. During the installation, I wondered about a few errors occuring.

I posted the errors according to the steps as stated in the instructions:

After step 8: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'partx: /dev/sda: error adding partitions 1-2
')
After step 11: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'tar: Ignoring unkown extended header keyword 'SCHILY.fflags'') (at least a few hundret lines/times)

Since I could nevertheless continue, I tried and came until the last step: Configuration of WiFi.

After entering the PW, the following error occured (at least 5 times/lines):$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', ' [ 3XX.49XXXX] protocol 0003 is buggy, dev mlan0')
The XXX are differing numbers.

Is there a workaround for the WiFi configuration? From what I see, I cannot continue to install or configure the OS.
What can I do next?

Thanks!

[note: I already posted this in another subforum before (mea culpa) reading the instruction to post questions like these into the general topic. Can the foregoing post maybe be moved?]

Re: WiFi configuration fails

Postby Menno » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Excactly the same problems here on a Samsung Chromebook.
Problems started after a pacman -Syu. I deed a complete reinstall, several times even,
but can't get wifi to work. Worked fine before.
Any help would be much apreciated.
Menno

Postby Krystian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:38 pm

exactly on samsung chromebook I get also such message and whom somebody finds the solution please share it with us :roll:
Krystian

Postby commandlinekid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

You're not going to believe this but I had the Same problem last month and solved it (a little rube goldybergy but still). I posted I could have SWORN the answer on this forum but it's now nowhere to be found.

And today...I'm again having this problem.

It's a matter of installing a package from your archive that the new updater keeps overwriting with the bad code but I forget which one.
commandlinekid

Postby commandlinekid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey it's your birthday... I found it.

YES IT'S A BANDAID (little troll boys leave me alone, present company excluded I'm sure). Someone needs to fix it properly...

My post from last month with the answer....

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234693
commandlinekid

Postby commandlinekid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 pm

HERE IS THE ANSWER FROM MY FORUM POST SOMEWHERE ELSE LAST MONTH. UPDATE 04/06/18, had the problem again...and again it was the dhcpcd-7.0.1-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz and I just "downgraded using pacman as shown below" to the one before it (see date of course in listing as I show below) to 6.11.5-1.

02/20/2018

After running pacman -Syyu something broke with the IP stack or ip tools....

Here is how to fix it ....or at least how to get it going again...not sure of any other implications...

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg

....Search for files upgraded today:

ls -alt

See today's date (or whatever date you upgraded).

Find the ones that look related to your dmesg result errors.. In my case "dhcpd-7.0.1-1-armv7h...whatever" and "net-tools-1.60.20180212git-1-armv7h...whatever"

THEN... look using that same ls -alt command for the files in question ....but the filedate JUST BEFORE the one you think broke it. So "from last month" or whatever.

Like this for the dhcp file for instance.... ls *dhcp* -alt

Then upgrade the package (the one you want) so it overwrites the new package that broke the system....

pacman -U Slighty-older-file-name

That should do it. I needed to upgrade at least net-tools, maybe dhcpd as well.

Bigger picture: Somethin done broke in whatever upgrades came out today (02202018 NY TIME) for armv7h. I am running Chromebook, Arch Linux)

Bottom line of what you're doing: Taking the package that was running just fine 10 minutes ago...and putting it BACK....and replacing the file that the pacman updater just put on because...that new file broke something.

keywords: arch won't boot, ethernet card broken on upgrade, mlan0, eth0, error: buggy 0003, protocol, vlan support
commandlinekid

Postby Menno » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks!! I already did a new install, but will try to find the older
"dhcpd-7.0.1-1-armv7h....... and try to install that somehow.
Menno

Postby Menno » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Ok, my wifi problems are solved with the new Os release of april 7.
Unfortunately audio and trackpad are gone now :(

(Samsung chromebook)
Menno

Return to General