Installing from Windows

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Installing from Windows

Postby Tony123 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to install Arch Linux ARM on a RPi3 from a Windows 10 machine

Unfortunately:
- I can't find an image on the Arch Linux ARM website for some strange reason (I'm a Windows user so I'm sort of used to super obvious and simple practical things actually being taken care of on a logical spot, I have found that the exact opposite is usually the case in Linux :-) )
- Arch doenst work with NOOBS
- The instructions provided on the ALARM website do not work from a Windows machine, I even tried the option to run Ubuntu under Windows 10 that exists these days because Microsoft actually wants to make things easy but to no avail.

I managed to install ALARM on an RPi2 so the SD card formatting thing works, I managed to install NOOBS on the Pi3 so the Pi3, the SD card and the power supply are good as well.... and because there is some ancient image floating around somewhere that works on the Pi2 this seems to be the only way for it to work (why on earth this image is not simply available on the Arch Linux webste is beyond me I must say).

However... I can't get the Pi3 beyond the rainbow screen with the image I used for the Pi2 so I'm stuck.

Is it possible to use an image that simply works on a Pi3 or just instructions that work on a Windows machine?

Since this is all so blatantly obvious and so extremely common (Windows... Pi3..) I'm sure I must have overlooked something on the ALARM website so a link would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Anton
Tony123

Re: Installing from Windows

Postby TheSaint » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am

Best solution is to use a linux installation on that machine. This could be done in a VM or starting a linux image.
After all, is expected to get familiar with linux and the administration experience which Archlinux requires. Otherwise better you start with the package recommended from the SBC manufacturer.
TheSaint

Re: Installing from Windows

Postby graysky » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am

+1 .. just boot from a live Arch image and install Arch ARM from there. Windows not required.
graysky
Developer

Return to General