Display Resets With Window Focus

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Display Resets With Window Focus

Postby eeyoreofborg » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:07 am

Using and Rpi4 with XFCE:

Every time I switch windows the display turns off momentarily or is reset. Let's say i'm in firefox and I click on the thunar window, or the desktop. The screen goes blank for a second, then pops back on.

I've tried both HDMI outputs and I've tried it on 2 different monitors and the condition persists. I've also tried switching out the os for raspian (or whatever it is called now) and it doesn't happen anymore; it works normally.

Also, if I set the WM settings to focus with mouse hover, it happens then too, so it happens during the focus/unfocus, not the clicking or the raising of the window.

It doesn't happen with every window. It doesn't happen with the onboard window(an on-screen keyboard), and it doesn't happen with XFCE terminal.

I tried creating a new user, and the new user has the same problem.

I've skimmed the logs, and don't see anything relevant, but I'll look a little harder.

Any suggestions?
eeyoreofborg

Re: Display Resets With Window Focus

Postby robg » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:49 pm

This is being investigated in issue #4660 (and very recently #4725) on the RPI github. The last kernel that works for me is 5.10.74.
robg

Postby eeyoreofborg » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Thanks. This issue is more thoroughly explored in viewtopic.php?f=65&t=15629
eeyoreofborg

Postby noah3 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:58 pm

It isn't the case with all windows. It doesn't happen in the onboard window (which has an on-screen keyboard) or in the XFCE terminal. Also, if I adjust the WM settings to focus with mouse hover, it occurs then as well, indicating that stick merge it occurs throughout the focus/unfocus process rather than during the clicking or rising of the window.
noah3

Return to General