Discussion about linux-rpi rebrand

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: Gripes about linux-rpi rebrand

Postby quark » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:29 pm

It doesn't offer to upgrade the custom kernel that I just made, but it's running the same version. Yesterday when I compiled the kernel for Zero it was 5.10.81-1 and today it's -3. So I'll know on the next kernel update.
quark

Postby ufo6000 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm now a little lost, what happens to my installed "linux-aarch64" package ?
Is this also replaced by linux-rpi package ?
And is linux-rpi now always aarch64 ? or is armv7h still possible ? How to switch/force ?
ufo6000

Postby graysky » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:34 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('ufo6000', 'I')'m now a little lost, what happens to my installed "linux-aarch64" package ?
Is this also replaced by linux-rpi package ?
And is linux-rpi now always aarch64 ? or is armv7h still possible ? How to switch/force ?

linux-aarch64 = mainline kernel (aarch64 only)
linux-rpi = rpi foundation kernel (armv7h and aarch64)

You cannot easily switch between armv7h and aarch64. It is best to simply reinstall the desired image.
graysky
Developer

Postby xse » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('graysky', ' ')Arch Linux does have a news feed whereas this project does not. I will continue to use the Announcement section here as a surrogate.

Hey, as a sidenote on the news/announcement thing i'd love to be able to follow the announcement forum using my rss reader like i do for arch/psql and so on.
We have a feed.php that kinda works for the whole forum but specifying like $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'feed.php?f=3?mode=topics')
Does not work. Is there maybe a setting that woul allow such behavior ? It's somewhat documented on phpBB's side but i'm not sure how it works/which version you're using here and so on.

Have a good day o/
xse

Postby skunark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'n')ux-raspberrypi --> linux-rpi-legacy (RPi 1, 2, Zero, Zero W)
linux-raspberrypi4 --> linux-rpi (RPi 3, 4, 400, and Zero 2 W)

Should the compute modules also be listed here?

A couple of things i noticed:
switching from linux-aarch64 to linux-rpi (aarch64) you need to update the fstab for boot device to use /dev/mmcblk0p1 vs /dev/mmcblk1p1 on RPI4. Also for RP3 B (not plus), HDMI is broken and is unreliable for boot.

The announcement page should also like to a bug tracking system such that we can just search there for results? (if there is one, i'm not aware of it)
skunark

Postby graysky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('skunark', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'n')ux-raspberrypi --> linux-rpi-legacy (RPi 1, 2, Zero, Zero W)
linux-raspberrypi4 --> linux-rpi (RPi 3, 4, 400, and Zero 2 W)

Should the compute modules also be listed here?

Probably but I want to have feedback from a user that the CM boots and runs correctly.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('skunark', '
')A couple of things i noticed:
switching from linux-aarch64 to linux-rpi (aarch64) you need to update the fstab for boot device to use /dev/mmcblk0p1 vs /dev/mmcblk1p1 on RPI4. Also for RP3 B (not plus), HDMI is broken and is unreliable for boot.

The announcement page should also like to a bug tracking system such that we can just search there for results? (if there is one, i'm not aware of it)

I fixed the .install to correct this, thank you for pointing it out.

As to the RPi3B failure, is there an issue upstream? If not please create one.

We don't have a formal bug tracking system. Generally users post to the forums.
My AUR packagesMy zsh configsStreamzap remote config
graysky
Developer

Postby checkmate » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:28 pm

@quark

why would gpu_mem=16 break the boot? Checked it in documentation, it's still a non-deprecated flag.
checkmate

Postby quark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:58 pm

I have no idea. I am pretty sure both the Zero and 2 didn't boot with gpu_mem=16. Had to remove it from config.txt.
Did you try it after this update?
edit: I just tried it right now on the Zero and it fails to boot. LED blinks a bit at first and then stops and nothing else happens. A bit more complicated to try it again on the 2. Let's wait for updates.
I'm not really mad about it. I was a bit, yesterday, as I thought something was wrong with my sdcards and lost some time, but else I'm pretty happy with this project.

2nd edit: just so it's clear I think it's from the recent naming move, not from upstream. I think devs still need to sort things out and it will work again on the next update.
quark

Postby checkmate » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:06 pm

I'm yet to reboot and wanted to wait for your feedback.
I'll try it at the weekend without the flag. Once this works, I'll try with it.
I'm on 3B+. Manually installed linux-rpi now after -Syu gave me linux-rpi-legacy.
So my findings might not be applicable for your setup. Will update on Sunday.

Thanks!
checkmate

Postby quark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:18 pm

I just reverted to my older custom kernel on the Zero and gpu_mem=16 works fine, boots right up. So it's something in the new kernel, maybe something in the config.
If you compare the two configs, before and after the update maybe it's clear what's breaking it. Might try it later.
quark

PreviousNext

Return to General