How do I Install arch Linux for ARM64 from Linux or Windows?

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

How do I Install arch Linux for ARM64 from Linux or Windows?

Postby heckinmatt » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:18 pm

I recently purchased a ROCK64 and would like to install Arch Linux on it. I saw on the website you can install the image through the Linux terminal. However, I tried this method through my Linux VM and the current Linux distro running on my ROCK and it would not work. I cannot get past the step where you mount the root to the SD card and create the new directory. Every time I attempt to create it, the OS will not let me create it since the main root exists on the original OS folder. Is it possible to install the image on a Windows machine and than flash it to an SD card using a flasher application like rufus avoiding the terminal method?

Thanks
heckinmatt

Re: How do I Install arch Linux for ARM64 from Linux or Wind

Postby karog » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:57 am

You need to do this on an arm machine so use your ROCK.

I don't have any ROCK devices, but two different odroids and others. I looked at the ROCK64 install instructions and step 5 isn't as clear as it should be. You should first cd /mnt so that you create a new dir named root there. You do not want to mount it on some existing dir called root that is already in use. Actually you can create the new root dir as mount point pretty much anywhere where it does not already exist. /mnt is just the usual place.
karog

Postby luna » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:40 pm

The installation instructions work as-written with very few modifications, only for device paths and the like. If you're not familiar with the commands the installation uses, it's best to copy-paste them so you minimize the chance of getting them wrong.

In addition, to help us troubleshoot, it would be helpful for you to provide the exact commands you ran from start to finish as well as the output. Preferably also copy-pasted, not in the form of a screenshot!
luna

Postby Ralph78 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:41 am

I've recently acquired a ROCK64 and intend to install Arch Linux. Following the website's terminal method proved challenging on my Linux VM and existing ROCK Linux distro. The obstacle arises at root mounting, as the main root directory clashes with the new one. Can I instead install the image on a Windows machine and use a flasher tool like Rufus to transfer it to an SD card, bypassing the terminal approach? Thanks for your guidance.
Ralph78

Postby jackjofi » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:19 am

Yes, you can install Arch Linux on your ROCK64 using a Windows machine. Use a tool like Rufus to flash the Arch Linux image onto the SD card, bypassing the terminal method.
jackjofi

Postby Wholubt » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:55 am

Use the dd command to write the image to the SD card. For example: sudo dd bs=4M if=path/to/archlinuxarm-image.img of=/dev/sdX status=progress, replacing path/to/archlinuxarm-image.img with the path to the downloaded image and /dev/sdX with the correct device name. Connect the ROCK64 to a monitor or TV and power it on.
Wholubt

Return to General