[SOLVED] rsync backup

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

[SOLVED] rsync backup

Postby farmerdave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 am

I've installed ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest onto my cubietruck using the installation instructions on the wiki. I installed using the second option, i.e. install to a sata 2.5" hdd. My micro SD card holds the U-Boot bootloader (u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin) and nothing else. This all worked fine, I got wifi working and put the Xfce4 DE on.

I then decided to try and change the hdd I used to one with larger storage, and so I used rysnc to do a full system backup, as documented here on the Arch wiki. I use this method all the time on my x86 system, and it works great.

I rsynced the smaller hdd to the larger and then tried to boot the larger, making no changes to micro SD card, but it failed to boot, never even booting the kernel because the "boot conf file is missing".

My question is whether this method of backup should work in theory with ARM devices, or am I missing some really obvious step?
Last edited by farmerdave on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farmerdave

Re: rsync backup

Postby graysky » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

Post the rsync command you used... did it include the -x switch by chance?
graysky
Developer

Postby farmerdave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:12 pm

I used the exact same options as in the link I provided, with only differences in the --exclude section being to add a /music folder I also wanted to exclude.

So I used
$ sudo rsync -aAXv --exclude={...} source destination.
farmerdave

Postby graysky » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 pm

I was going to guess the -x switch may have been used which does not cross filesystems (ie if /boot is mounted it would be ignored).
graysky
Developer

Postby farmerdave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm actually not doing this command to the live system, instead I'm taking the hdd and putting it in a dock, copying the system to a folder on my desktop pc, and then swapping to the larger hdd in the dock and "rsyncing" again from the copy to the bigger hdd.
Before attempting to boot it, I am making sure that all necessary folders are the (e.g. /proc, /run, /dev) and permissions are correct.
farmerdave

Postby farmerdave » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm going to mark this one as solved. I reformatted the drive, but this time with e2fsprogs >=1.43 and used the ^metadata_csum, ^64bit flags. Issuing the same rsync command and the cubietruck booted perfectly.
farmerdave

Return to General