Moving to IPv6 Dual stacking

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Moving to IPv6 Dual stacking

Postby technosf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 pm

My ISP is doling out IPv6 addresses with /64 prefixes, so I figure it's time to dual stack with an eye on dropping IPv4 from my LAN while keeping an address on the router for external addressing.

I'm wondering who else has gone down this path and which direction you took - DHCPCD, RADV,SLAAC?
What issues did you have and how did you solve them? Are you also running ULA's too? How did you get Prefix distribution working?

I've taken the DHCPCD conf I was using for IPv4 and enabled ipv6rs on the WAN interface, have a prefix, but so far cannot get the prefix out to the LAN interface using ia_pd. Also can't get a linklocal on my tunnel TUN interface if t also has an IPv4 address defined.

All ideas welcomed.

Cheers!
[size=85] MochaBin 5G || NSA325 [/size]
technosf

Re: Moving to IPv6 Dual stacking

Postby summers » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I used 6in4 IPv6 at home, as my ISP doesn't offer IPv6.

Now crux is that it is your router that connects to your ISP, so you router needs to understand IPv6. Mine does, and it does stateless IPV6 : https://www.ipv6.com/general/stateless-auto-configuration/. My router does this via radvd: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radvd.

After this my arch machines that connect to the router aromatically connect using stateless IPv6. This works by default as the arch network is configured with IPv6 enabled.

Now the one thing that doesn't work, is my beagle network that is connected to my NAS. The NAS is connected to the router and has IPv6, the beagle network though goes out via a NAT on the NAS. This only does IPv4. Now routing is set up so I can go straight to the beagle network (that required adding routes to the router), but they don't pick up on stateless IPv6. I've yet to try setting up a full ethernet bridge on the NAS, and so not doing NAT at al - really just trying to find time to do that.

Anyway crux for you is making sure your router is set up to do IPv6.
summers

Postby technosf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Yep, I have an IPv6 address and prefix on the WAN side of the router, but can't get the prefix to delegate to the LAN side of the router. Once I can get the delegate, I'll deal with the rest, but first things first.

I'm using DHCPCD to get the IPv6 addr and prefix and define the delegation, but am trying to get systemd-networkd configs to set up the interfaces and forwarding, route advertisements etc.

Here's dhcpcd.conf:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
slaac private
interface wan0
ipv6rs
iaid 1
ia_pd 1 lan0/3 tun0/5
')

And the network defs:
[Match]
Name=eth0

[Network]
DHCP=yes
IPForward=yes
IPMasquerade=yes
IPv6PrivacyExtensions=yes
IPv6AcceptRA=yes

[Address]
Address=192.168.0.1/24
')

[Match]
Name=lan0

[Network]
IPForward=yes
IPv6AcceptRA=yes
IPv6PrefixDelegation=yes
IPv6PrivacyExtensions=yes

[Address]
Address=192.168.0.2/24

[IPv6PrefixDelegation]
Managed=true
')
technosf

Postby summers » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:14 am

Is this on your router that you are running these commands? Its the router that has the WAN, as passes traffic across to the LAN; so its the router that needs to run radvd or dhcpv6.

Your commands look like arch set up. Now I don't know a broadband router that runs arch, e.g. mine (a TP-Link box) runs a very minimal system, related to openwrt. So although I can log onto it (via a hack), its usually configured using the web interface to the box.

although my router can run either dhcpv6 or radvd, I've only tried radvd - as thats the stateless set up. Once this is running on the router, any arch machine that connects has automatically picked up an ipv6 address (2002:). This is with no real set up in arch, as ipv6 is part of the set up. on any arch machine "ip a" will probably show interfaces with a fe80: local address with no configuration ...

So your problem is probably in the router ...

If it helps, the config file for radvd on my router is:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'interface br0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
MinRtrAdvInterval 3;
MaxRtrAdvInterval 10;
AdvDefaultPreference low;
AdvManagedFlag off;
AdvOtherConfigFlag on;
prefix 2002:xxxx:xxxx:xx::/64
{
AdvPreferredLifetime 120;
AdvValidLifetime 300;
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
AdvRouterAddr off;
};
};
')
Where the prefix is set up automatically to match the router wan IPv4 address. And radvd is then run on br0, which is the bridge tying the whole lan together:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '~ # brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.6466b3984566 no eth0.2
eth0.3
eth0.4
eth0.5
ath0
nas0_1
')
summers

[Solved] Re: Moving to IPv6 Dual stacking

Postby technosf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am

My original config worked after a reboot rather than just restart networking and dhcpcd and boucing the interfaces. It also took a little time for the negotiations between my gateway and the ISP.

But, hey, here I am on IPv6 :lol:
technosf

Return to General