[Solved] USB Arch installation on the Odroid XU4

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: USB Arch installation on the Odroid XU4

Postby andoru » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am

@summers: Thanks for the great idea! I've now bound the folders, and boot now shows on the root/system partition on the HDD. I've also added the relevant fstab lines to have this done automatically at every boot. I'll check to see if updating the kernels works... hopefully it won't bork the whole system again...

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'A') better solution would be to move the contents of the boot directory up a level - but you would probably have to modify some u-boot env variables.

Well, I mentioned earlier that I did that already, just that it did not work... and since I'm not knowledgeable enough to prod around u-boot, I'll leave it as it is for the time being. Thanks again for your help!
andoru

Re: [Solved-ish] USB Arch installation on the Odroid XU4

Postby summers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 am

Glad it worked. "mount --bind" is like a super "ln -s"; it works across "chroot" etc.

This said though it is a hack, u-boot and arch see you boot partition differently. arch sees "/boot" but u-boot sees "/".

Can understand you not wanting to dig in u-boot ;) ... but if you get board the details ....

You can see much of the problem in /boot/boot.txt. It contains the lines:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/zImage
load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/dtbs/${fdtfile}
load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${ramdisk_addr_r} /boot/initramfs-linux.img')
Or something similar (seems to vary from system to system - this is for beagleboard). You can see its loads the kernel,initrd, and device tree from the /boot directory - but u-boot doesn't see the /boot name ...

So most of the problem can be solved by just removing the "/boot" from the above lines.

But then there is the problem as to how does u-boot find /boot/boot.scr - and there its ticky, it must be hidden somewhere in the u-boot source code - but I'm not sure I've ever found it ...

EDIT: Found it: http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=include/config_distro_bootcmd.h if I read it correct it looks for boot.scr in boot_prefixes - and these are defined as "/" and "/boot".

Now if this is correct. Suggests that you can move your boot files up to the top of the boot directory (e.g. move /boot/boot to /boot); then make the modifications above (so u-boot doesn't look in /boot); and it stands half a chance of booting ...
summers

Re: [Solved] USB Arch installation on the Odroid XU4

Postby andoru » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 am

Yes, I have similar lines in boot.txt, so I'll modify them and move the files next time I reboot the device. Thank you again for the help!

Also, I'm happy to report that the kernel update installed flawlessly!
andoru

Re: [Solved] USB Arch installation on the Odroid XU4

Postby andoru » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Sorry for the double post, just chiming in to say that moving the boot files to the root of the partition worked with summers' solution! Thank you again! :)
andoru

Previous

Return to General