How to get an usable DNS

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: How to get an usable DNS

Postby TheSaint » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:26 pm

I've tried to use systemd, but the wpa_supplicant doesn't start. Furthermore it seems that is not detected if hot plugged.
I believe that I go for the udev rule ;)
The only remaining doubt is how the dnsmasq will recognize the hot plug. Perhaps I should restart dnsmasq when plugging the WiFi dongle.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Think I use $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wpa_supplicant.service') I'll check when I get home ...

OK - just checked, I enabled $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wpa_supplicant.service') which runs "/usr/bin/wpa_supplicant -u" and $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wpa_supplicant@wlp3s0.service') which runs "usr/bin/wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlp3s0.conf -iwlp3s0" where wlp3s0 is my wifi ip name ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:16 am

I've set according to the wiki and BBS, but if I try to start it, then it will hang forever without returning to the prompt.
If I run the wpa command then it will get done.
TheSaint

Postby TheSaint » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 am

I achieved to start the wpa_supplicant and systemd-networkd services.
I'm planning to start wpa_supplicant upon dongle insertion, but it doesn't start. Referring to the small script the event is noted (I added a logging to /tmp) but the connection remains down.
I need to know if I start the wpa_service at boot time, then it will be working if I plug the dongle later. But it seems that is one-shot starting. That's why I prefer to use udev rule to activate the device.

It's funny that there's no a program to handle dhcp client and server, both ways. Because one side is to connect to internet, so a request is issued for a lease, but the other side is needed a server to offer the lease to the applicants.
So I should be able to set the AP, and I need a solution to this problem.
TheSaint

Postby summers » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:54 pm

I thought that systemd did this fairly seamlessly? At least when I drop my wifi connection, when it comes up again I get a valid connection. Don't think I'm doing anything special ...
summers

Postby TheSaint » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:22 pm

I thought there could be a difference with a pluggable device. But I will try to enable the service to run at startup.
But another disappointment is coming by the crappy Realtek card. I found this explanation. Even is not the same hardware, but the condition are very similar.
So, with a huge regret I'm chained to use only what Asus provide. The Arch will be just a time to time pioneering, and wait whether something working will become available.
TheSaint

Previous

Return to General