Asus Flip networking issues

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Asus Flip networking issues

Postby sheepincase » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:34 pm

I have an Asus Flip C100P 4GB version on which I have run Arch Linux ARM for the past four months. A few weeks ago I did an update having not updated in about two months and something seems to have broken with my networking. When I try to boot, I get two unending start jobs. One for network services and one for Create Volatile files and directories.

I can chroot into the system, using arch-chroot and if I disable networkd.service, wicd.service (I use WICD as my network manager) and systemd-timesyncd.service, the system boots and works fine (obviously without a network). I must disable all three, otherwise I get different unending start jobs.

When I try to manually start networkd, I am able to connect to my local network with wifi-menu, but I cannot reach anything outside of it, seeming to get stuck on resolve state in Chromium. I can't ping anything, either.

I have two backups, and when I use my earliest backup from August (which works fine) and try to update that, the exact same issue happens.

I don't exactly know where to start with journalctl, but here are a few entries that seem relevant to networking issues.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd-udevd[205]: Process '/usr/bin/set-wireless-regdom' failed with exit code 1.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Failed to start Network Service.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Started Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:backlight.20.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service: Service has no hold-off time (RestartSec=0), scheduling restart.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: systemd-networkd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Found device /dev/ttyS2.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Listening on Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status /dev/rfkill Watch.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Stopped Network Service.
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip kernel: brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Oct 24 2017 02:04:25 version 7.35.349.28 (r674459 CY) FWID 01-aa74a501
Dec 25 14:46:19 archflip systemd[1]: Starting Network Service...')

I've done a lot of Googling for various possible solutions over the past week, but I haven't been able to find anything which seems relevant to this specific issue.

Any help here would be appreciated. If more information is needed (for example, a full boot journal entry), or if clarity is needed, please let me know.
sheepincase

Re: Asus Flip networking issues

Postby summers » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 pm

I'd say follow the instructions https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration about bringing the network up by hand. This way you can see what fails, or if it brings up the network. If it does bring up the network then systemd is doing something odd. Anyway manual method does identify many possible problems ...

For routing issues, probably need to get the ip adress using dhcpd - that means you usually get the routing information from the far end.
summers

Re: Asus Flip networking issues

Postby sheepincase » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Thank you for the reply. I don't know why I didn't think it could be a systemd issue, but it is. I downgraded my systemd version and ignored it for now in pacman.conf. Everything is working fine now.
sheepincase

Return to General