Chromium within Weston / Wayland

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: Chromium within Weston / Wayland

Postby schmi85 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:18 am

As it turned out, things getting really confusing here. 1. Downgrading mesa to 18.6.2 as suggested only works for an ARMv7 Installation, so using a different base image. However, after downgrading, the browser starts to work but glxinfo | grep render still yields:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
direct rendering: Yes
GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL renderer string: VC4 V3D 2.1
GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,
')

so no Gallium3D anywhere.

However that does not change a thing for an AArch64 Installation downgrading mesa here has no effect at all.

I would really be curious to know why that is and if there is any way to get that up and running on AArch64 as well.
schmi85

Postby summers » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

An interesting thread as I try to work out what my desk top does. Its an On AMD Radeon H6310 which is a terascale2/evergreen design. Now I use the open graphics driver radeon, and inside X this uses the R600g set up. Now guess the question is how it relates to MESA (openGL set up) in X, and the 2d and 3d set up. Now R600g merged into MESA in 2010 and is a Gallium3D diver. and support for opengl looks good.

But the question is much of this seems tied in with X development. So need to work out how this all works in Wayland.

Crux is that most graphics is 2D, so how does this work. Cairo is the main library, so I looked there first. It has an X interface, and also an OpenGL interface. So In Wayland it either needs to go via xwayland.so or use the OpenGL set up. If OpenGL then it will use mesa, and I guess that will output directly to the graphics (this is how wayland is set it, it allows direct access to the graphics, so acceleration is handled by the application, and typically by a library like mesa.

So need to work out how mesa works in wayland, need to look into that. I assume it goes straight via the EGL interface to graphics, as wayland does that. Going via mesa and we should have acceleration if we are Gallium3D or no, but most interfaces are i guess now Gallium3D. I need to dig more into this.

Chromium is more complicated, its graphics lib is skia (https://skia.org/) which I'm not familiar with. Need to work out how that talks to the graphics card.

Does make me wonder though, are applications which are pure OpenGL based faster than Chromium that uses skia?
summers

Postby schmi85 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm

To honest again, I think I am missing a whole shelf from the library here to really understand what you try to explain. But I guess this one is my lesson on Linux graphics :) Anyway, next to the thread in the rpi forum, I have as well posted on raspberrypi.stackexchange.com and no one less than Eric Anholt himself responded in a Comment here.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '
')No, that renderer string is correct. If things are slow, I would recommend getting out your whole-system profiler (sysprof) and seeing what's going on. A bit of info is at: github.com/anholt/mesa/wiki/VC4-Performance-Debugging but at a guess, your wayland clients are using shm buffers instead of dmabufs -- a common failure mode of wayland implementations. – Eric Anholt

So as far as I can conclude here, the lack of the Gallium3D driver is an intended thing and the occurring errors seam to have their within the application itself. Again, on an arch arm7h, with mesa 18.2.6, chromium at least shows up, so must have been some change within mesa, which in turn made it impossible for chromium to run?
schmi85

Previous

Return to General