GDK-PIXBUF Errors

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

GDK-PIXBUF Errors

Postby allanrps » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Both gimp and audacity on my system are being plauged with pixbuf errors. Gimp seems to work fine but fails to load any of the icons for the user interface. It gives the first error repeatedly upon starting and the other two repeatedly while running. For what it's worth opening and editing png works perfectly fine.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
GIMP-Error: Failed to load data:Error loading '/usr/share/mypaint-data/1.0/brushes/tanda/charcoal-blur1.myb': Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file “/usr/share/mypaint-data/1.0/brushes/tanda/charcoal-blur1_prev.png”
')$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
** (gimp:27647): WARNING **: 11:34:21.524: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file /usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Dark/ui/menubar.png: Couldn’t recognize the image file format for file “/usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Dark/ui/menubar.png”
(gimp:27647): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: 11:34:21.524: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion 'GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
')
Audacity on the other hand force closes on any 'File' operation citing the following error:
**Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
')
All packages were installed from the arch repos with all dependencies. No gnome desktop is installed. I already updated the loaders cache with the command 'gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache' and checked to make sure the proper loaders were present in the loaders directory (/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders) and the cache file (/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache). I also posted the loaders file and dir environmental variables.

After being stumped I decide to try to compile gdk-pixbuf myself with the meson builtin_loaders option set to 'all'. I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what this would change, but I found people saying that reconfiguring with the options "./configure --disable-modules --with-included-loaders=yes" would fix my issues. I couldn't find any info on meson/ninja compilation of this package (which seems to be the only way now), but the builtin_loaders option seemed like the closes approximation. Anyway I ran into the following error upon running ninja in the build directory....
[3/10] Generating resources.h with a custom command.failed to load "/root/Documents/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-master/tests/icc-profile.png": Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/root/Documents/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-master/tests/icc-profile.png?../tests/resources.gresource.xml: Child process exited with code 1.
[4/10] Generating resources.c with a custom command.failed to load "/root/Documents/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-master/tests/icc-profile.png": Couldn?t recognize the image file format for file ?/root/Documents/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-master/tests/icc-profile.png?../tests/resources.gresource.xml: Child process exited with code 1.ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
')
Seems like I've got quite the catch 22 on my hands..... I'm not sure what other info you guys could need, but just tell me and I'll post it up. This issue is actually quite important for my workflow if you could believe it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan
allanrps

Re: GDK-PIXBUF Errors

Postby allanrps » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Whelp, fixed it already..... I just reinstalled libpng from source. I thought that package should have been fine since gimp and imagemagick both did fine opening pngs, but alas...
allanrps

Return to General