RPI3 wont reboot after -Syu

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

RPI3 wont reboot after -Syu

Postby 9d8 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:14 am

I've been using my RPI as a headless server for about a year now and it has never had any problems rebooting. Recently, I ran pacman -Syu and now the system will just halt whenever I call reboot (I have to unplug it to get it to start up again). I cant find any relevant logs in the systemd journal. I even tried reinstalling the entire OS from scratch yet the error still persists.

Is this issue on my end (ie not an issue with the update itself)? If so, how can I fix/debug it?
9d8

Re: RPI3 wont reboot after -Syu

Postby MattM » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Same thing on my side.
I have a headless Pi3, too. Approx. two weeks ago, after pacman -Syu with update to kernel 5.1.5, and reboot, the Pi didn't start. I had to restart it electrically. Afterwards, nothing in the systemd journal.
Today, after pacman -Syu (with kernel update to 5.1.8) and reboot, the Pi didn't start, again.
This is highly frustrating, as this Pi3 is in another home, and I have to travel there to restart it.
MattM

Postby pixelsyntax » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:46 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('MattM', 'S')ame thing on my side.
I have a headless Pi3, too. Approx. two weeks ago, after pacman -Syu with update to kernel 5.1.5, and reboot, the Pi didn't start. I had to restart it electrically. Afterwards, nothing in the systemd journal.
Today, after pacman -Syu (with kernel update to 5.1.8) and reboot, the Pi didn't start, again.
This is highly frustrating, as this Pi3 is in another home, and I have to travel there to restart it.

Identical behaviour here on a RPi 3 B
pixelsyntax

Postby lategoodbye » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 am

lategoodbye

Postby 9d8 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lategoodbye', 'M')aybe related:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13635

The solution posted there fixed the issue for me!

EDIT:
It looks like the new kernel update 5.1.8-2 also addresses this issue.
9d8

Return to General