NFS going stale

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

NFS going stale

Postby HydroDiOxide » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:08 am

This is not an archarm specific issue, but since it happen on my Pi, I'm posting here.

I've got a Pi that has some systemd mount units for network shares on my NAS (Synology). I'm using smb now, but I want to change over to nfs as that works better with newer versions of mono. I've tried the change and it works ok. However, one of the network drives goes stale. That particular share is on a USB hdd connected to the NAS. All of the NAS drives spin down after x amount of time, but only the USB drive has this issue. I need the share to be available though at all times as a different service running on the Pi uses it.

I was thinking that a systemd automount for that particular share might fix this, but I'm not sure if the automounts work with services that need/rewuest access and then again, if it is mounted by the service and then goes stale, it probably won't work anyway.

Anyone with a solution for the described issue?
HydroDiOxide

Re: NFS going stale

Postby mrtux » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:13 pm

Are you just trying to prevent it from spinning down and going to sleep? If so, could you use hdparm? Any setting below 128 prevents spindown, would this work for you NAS? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hdparm#Power_management_configuration
mrtux

Re: NFS going stale

Postby HydroDiOxide » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 am

No, not spinning down, but going stale. The spinning down is actually wanted because of power saving.
HydroDiOxide

Return to General