Can't connect to cifs share, but can connect with smbclient

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Can't connect to cifs share, but can connect with smbclient

Postby Lestrad » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 am

Hello. My Wandboard running Arch Linux ARM mounts a cifs share hosted on a Windows 7 machine at boot. After a certain amount of time the connection to the share is lost. I can cd to the mount point directory, but when I run ls I get the message: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cannot open directory '.': Host is down') If I unmount the mount directory and try to remount the share, I get a $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount error(2): No such file or directory') error.

However, I can connect to the share using smbclient. And if I reboot the Wandboard the share again mounts with no problem. But after a time it becomes inaccessible again.

I've tried several different things on the Windows machine, including enabling and disabling SMB v1 and trying all the possible settings for the NIC (Intel with the latest driver) and for the Windows share configuration. But the problem must involve Linux, since the share remains available via smbclient and mounts with no problem when I reboot. I've updated samba to the latest version and enabled winbind. I'm not sure what else to try.

Arch Linux ARM version 5.7.2-1-ARCH
samba v 4.12.3
CIFS v 2.26
mount.cifs v 6.10

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide any information anyone might need.

TIA

Les
Lestrad

Return to General