Discussion about linux-rpi rebrand

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: Gripes about linux-rpi rebrand

Postby graysky » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:25 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('skunark', 'A')lso, with the CM4's PCIe x1 slot, there's several things that could be enabled now, like NIC cards. For example, to enable Intel i255 based NICs.

-# CONFIG_IGC is not set
+CONFIG_IGC=y

Is this enablement managed upstream or per distro?

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... 892f171ac8
graysky
Developer

Postby keithspg » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:21 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('quark', 't')hat looks like the latest commit on the raspberry pi kernel.
did you use the same config as on raspbian? export the config from raspbian and compile it for arch, see if it's the same.

I used the same commit, but would need to change the config and rebuild. I will do that next.
keithspg

Postby skunark » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:29 pm

I attempted to install Arch (ArchLinuxARM-rpi-aarch64-latest.tar.gz 11/20 version) on a CM4 and had the same issues as before where it wouldn't boot. This time I arch-chroot'ed the install, updated to linux-rpi and everything booted without an issue (also didn't sed the mmcblk0 to 1).

If there is a newer install tarball, I can give it a go before I wrap up the post-installation on that CM4.
skunark

Postby graysky » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:09 pm

Package syncing has been temporarily disabled for python and boost rebuilds. You should build firmware-raspberrypi on your system to verify functionality. It provides the symlink that you manually tested and confirmed as working.
graysky
Developer

Postby skunark » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:00 am

Graysky,

Thanks for the quick fixes, i did compile linux-rpi and tested that again for kicks. As for firmware-raspberrypi the ca-cert on the download is out of sync as it appears the archlinuxarm.org https cert was updated today. (seems like cutting it close on expiration :)) I will try tomorrow to see if that clears up.

I do apologies though, as my previous comment was more related to the installation of Arch and not focused on the two fixes push through. To expand more, the AAarch64 installation steps doesn't work for CM4. I'm unsure of the failure with that tarball as it quickly goes to netbook as it's not finding the boot drive. When i arch-chrooted and updated to the rebranded "linux-rpi" everything worked fine. I'm unsure how often the aarch64 image is created, but was offering test it if it contained the rebranded linux-rpi.
skunark

Postby keithspg » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:10 pm

I finally got around to building the linux-rpi-legacy (armv6) image for 5.10.87 but with the Rpi config. I generated the RPi config using their instructions and substituted for the config in the linux-rpi-legacy package from git then built the kernel and installed it.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'KERNEL=kernel
make bcmrpi_defconfig')
The kernel with the RPi config behaves identically to the kernel generated with the default Arch config. If the config is set with dparam=audio=on on a RPi with actual onboard audio, it can fail to boot. The messages on the console are:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /boot.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
')
then I get emergency mode 'ctrl D to continue'
If from emergency mode, I $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot') then issue a reboot, it usually (never seen it not) will reboot. If I turn onboard audio off in config.txt, I have never seen it not boot. Many times I have pulled the SDcard, put it in a windows machine, edited to comment the dparam=audio=on line in config.txt then put it back in the Pi and it boots.

The journal lines are:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: dev-mmcblk0p1.device: Job dev-mmcblk0p1.device/start timed out.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /boot.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: local-fs.target: Job local-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: local-fs.target: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: boot.mount: Job boot.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Nov 30 20:17:49 alarm systemd[1]: dev-mmcblk0p1.device: Job dev-mmcblk0p1.device/start failed with result 'timeout'.')

I know it sounds strange, but there seems to be some timing or something with onboard audio just on the lowly Pi1 with onboard audio (3.5mm plug) on armv6 that causes this intermittent problem. I have not seen this with the armv7 image nor aarch64. Enabling onboard audio always works from this commit (5.10.87-1) on armv7 and aarch64. It is just on the B1 on armv6 that I have seen this.

Addition: It rebooted a ton of times today and it is just now that it quit (with dparam=audio-on). I do not know if it is important, but running concurrently with the mount of /boot is random and enabling of /dev/ttyAMA0.
keithspg

Postby keithspg » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:44 pm

@graysky My guess is that this is not a kernel issue, but a systemd issue, but that is only a guess.
When it fails on boot, the console shows 3 jobs trying to be run simultaneously:
Load/Save Random Seed
/dev/ttyAMA0
mount /boot
it always shows "[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1" followed by the 2 dependency warnings for /boot and Local File Systems.
every time if I type in password to get into 'maintenance mode' and mount the filesystems and reboot it reboots cleanly.

I was wondering if vfat was compiled as a module or 'in kernel' that may be causing an issue and it looks like it is 'in kernel' in the config for rpi-legacy
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y')
anyone have any hints as to why this might be happening?

edit: To be clear, I have only seen this with the linux-rpi-legacy kernel on PiB1 with onboard audio enabled. All otehr RPis do not seem to have this problem. The Zero doe snot have onboard audio so this is ignored even if enabled. On Pi2/3/4 with onboard audio, I have never seen this. If onboard audio is disabled in config.txt on the PiB1, it boots fine and I have never seen it go into maintenance mode with this disabled. if it is enabled, I have seen this periodically but not always which is problematic on a headless device as all you see is it does not boot but no idea why.
keithspg

Re: Discussion about linux-rpi rebrand

Postby Sbyrr0 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:50 pm

Can we add at least "/boot/cmdline.txt" and "/boot/config.txt" to the backup=() array in linux-rpi PKGBUILD?
It would suck to have these files replaced without noticing
Sbyrr0

Postby graysky » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:07 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sbyrr0', 'C')an we add at least "/boot/cmdline.txt" and "/boot/config.txt" to the backup=() array in linux-rpi PKGBUILD?
It would suck to have these files replaced without noticing

https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUIL ... GBUILD#L88 :roll:
graysky
Developer

Postby keithspg » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:48 am

Well as the kernel revisions marched on, the issues I was having have gone away. With a revision to systemd, now the B1 even boots are back to normal. Thanks for listening.
keithspg

PreviousNext

Return to General