Discussion about linux-rpi rebrand

This forum is for discussion about general software issues.

Re: Gripes about linux-rpi rebrand

Postby quark » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:37 pm

I meant with the 64bit kernel.
It's possible even with the 64bit kernel just that it's a pain to set up, uboot's boot.txt has to be modified, and the device tree base file has to be modified as well.
I still don't understand why you would use a 32bit kernel with a 64bit OS, apart from this dtoverlay compatibility thing. Does the OS still "see" 4/8GB of RAM?
quark

Postby keithspg » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:36 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('quark', 'I') meant with the 64bit kernel.
It's possible even with the 64bit kernel just that it's a pain to set up, uboot's boot.txt has to be modified, and the device tree base file has to be modified as well.
I still don't understand why you would use a 32bit kernel with a 64bit OS, apart from this dtoverlay compatibility thing. Does the OS still "see" 4/8GB of RAM?

I do not use a 32 bit kernel, I use a 64 bit user space and 64 bit kernel but with the RPi dtoverlay/dtparam and hat capability. I do not use uboot.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# uname -a
Linux rune64 5.10.83-1-rpi-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 7 15:21:39 UTC 2021 aarch64 GNU/Linux
# pacman -Q --info bash
Name : bash
Version : 5.1.012-1
Description : The GNU Bourne Again shell
Architecture : aarch64
URL : https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/bash.html
Licenses : GPL
Groups : None
Provides : sh
Depends On : readline libreadline.so=8-64 glibc ncurses
Optional Deps : bash-completion: for tab completion
Required By : base bzip2 ca-certificates-utils db dhcpcd dialog diffutils dmenu e2fsprogs fftw findutils
freetype2 gawk gdbm gettext gmp gpm gzip icu ijs iptables js78 keyutils libgpg-error
libksba libmikmod libpaper libpcap libpng libtool libusb-compat mkinitcpio nano npth nspr
nss pacman pcre pcre2 rpcbind smartmontools systemd texinfo unzip which wireless-regdb
xdg-utils xfsprogs xz
Optional For : ncurses
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 8.16 MiB
Packager : Arch Linux ARM Build System <builder+n1@archlinuxarm.org>
Build Date : Fri 26 Nov 2021 12:37:19 PM CST
Install Date : Fri 03 Dec 2021 09:17:56 AM CST
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script : No
Validated By : Signature')

If you have a Pi2B 1.2, Pi3B, Pi3B+, Pi4B Zero2W the 64 bit version works. Follow the install instructions for the 64 bit install. Use http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinux ... est.tar.gz. Install it, and initialize it, then boot back up and install linux-rpi. It will uninstall uboot and linux and install the 64 bit RPi kernel with all the quirks and idiosyncrasies of RPi with dtoverlay and dtparam, etc. all up to date with the current RPI kernel version. The 64 bit install does not have the issues I was mentioning in this thread (reboot, gpu_mem=16 and the onboard audio all work with the aarch64 version). Those problems I mention in this thread are only on the armv7 and armv6 versions.

Keith
keithspg

Postby quark » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:03 pm

Since I wasted too much time trying to compile a raspbian driver I decided to give it a go. I installed linux-rpi, it removed uboot, and it's not working.
edit: it's working.
quark

Postby quark » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 am

This is pretty nice. Managed to build linux-rpi with 5.15.6 and seems to be working fine. It also seems to have fixed the issue with the pi not rebooting (with the default linux-rpi kernel). Overlays seem to be working fine as well.
quark

Postby keithspg » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:57 pm

@graysky I am trying to run these problems down one at a time. I think I have identified that the 'failure to reboot' is a RPiOS kernel problem with armv6/7. What I did was make an RPiOS image and then built the latest kernel from git. The new kernel advertises as 5.10.83-v7+. This kernel will not reboot just like the 5.10.81 kernel for ArchARM.
What is happening, I believe, is that the Rpi is not shutting down properly and hangs at shutdown and never gets to boot. I will add an issue to the RPi repo.

I do have another question, though. How are the commits selected for the Arch linux-rpi and linux-rpi-legacy build packages? My assumption was that the Arch kernel was built from the latest commit (what Rpi calls 'bleeding edge') in this git:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
when I clone this repo then search the git log, the commit that the Arch kernel is built from does not show up. How is the commit for the Arch kernel selected?

Keith
keithspg

Postby graysky » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:58 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('keithspg', 'I') do have another question, though. How are the commits selected for the Arch linux-rpi and linux-rpi-legacy build packages?

Periodically we build from their 5.10.y tree.
graysky
Developer

Postby keithspg » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:03 am

@graysky There was a commit on Thursday that fixed the 'gpu_mem=16' failure to boot problem for both the armv6 and v7.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/3ec9b52daa865f1253caf56f243f699c5a796ff7
This commit fixes this particular issue.

I built the Arch kernel for rpi-legacy (armv6) with the same commit and if 'dtparam=audio=on' is in config.txt, the Pi B1 will not boot. If I pull the card and comment out the line or change it to "dtparam=audio=off" it boots fine. It only seems to appear if the Pi has the 3.5mm audio output that it fails. The console boots then spits out a lot of audit messages and stops.

This config.txt parameter does nothing on a PiZeroW and it can be present or set to on or off and the ZeroW will boot without issue. It is just the devices with actual onboard audio.
keithspg

Postby keithspg » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:09 pm

I do not know what is going on with this boot issue and onboard audio.

If I enable onboard audio 'dtparam=audio=on' and 'gpu_mem=16' 'in config.txt, the PiB1 I am testing with will not boot. Neither with a power cycle nor with reboot from cli. If I increase the gpu_mem=32 with the onboard audio enabled, it will boot. It has not been a problem in the past to have gpu_mem=16 and onboard audio simultaneously for these headless devices. This is with a self built kernel using the official PKGBUILD with 'commit=48f234641072c3619fa8c357b93e4f5131899cb6' (this Arch Package has not showed up to pacman, yet, here in the US, anyway)

Hardware model: Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2
Linux version: 5.10.87-1-rpi-legacy-ARCH

With the RPiOS SD card, with this kernel at the same commit (which shows up as 5.10.87+) on the same hardware. I am able to boot and reboot with the audio on and gpu_mem=16.
keithspg

Postby quark » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:51 pm

that looks like the latest commit on the raspberry pi kernel.
did you use the same config as on raspbian? export the config from raspbian and compile it for arch, see if it's the same.
quark

Postby skunark » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:23 pm

BTW: I did manage to get the wireless card working on the compute module 4 (CM4). https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15626&p=67822&hilit=compute+module+4#p67822

Also, with the CM4's PCIe x1 slot, there's several things that could be enabled now, like NIC cards. For example, to enable Intel i255 based NICs.

-# CONFIG_IGC is not set
+CONFIG_IGC=y

Is this enablement managed upstream or per distro?
skunark

PreviousNext

Return to General